4

Of course the first people that enter the room are my parents. I stand to face them and I rush to them, their arms wrap around me the second I make contact with them, and none of us say a word, we just hold each other. My mom is crying, so is my dad, and though hearing them cry breaks my heart, I do not allow any tears to fall down my cheeks. I know that the second I leave this room there will be countless cameras in my face, and I cannot allow anyone to see me with red eyes. They must know that I am a force to be reckoned with, they must believe that I am a cold blooded killer, or I will have no chance in that arena.

My parents pull away after a moment, and my mom wipes her cheeks clean of her tears before she looks at me, "Lena. Lena, I want to give you something," She reaches into the pocket of her dress and she takes out a gold ring with a pearl in the center of it. She holds it out to me, "It was my mothers. I have always known that she is watching over you from somewhere, so maybe if you have a piece of her, it will give you just a bit more protection." My mom never talks about her mother, who died from the flu just a few months before I was born. And for her to give me something that belonged to her, I know she will not take any arguments on me keeping it. I take the ring and I put it on, finding that it fits me perfectly. I look at my mom, "Thank you..." I say. She sobs and kisses my forehead, holding the contact for a few moments before she pulls away, and my dad takes that opportunity to speak, "Lena."

I look at him, and through tears in his eyes, I can see a fire in his eyes, one that makes me afraid, "Dad. Don't do anything crazy," I warn, because I know that he is the type of person who would go on a rampage after this, but I can't allow that to happen, when I'm gone, my dad will be all that my mom has. He can't go off and get himself killed to try and make a point to the Capitol. He just shakes his head in response to my words, and he gives me a shaky smile, "I won't." "Promise me," I insist, "I won't be there to help mom if something happens to you, so you have to be strong, for me and for her. So promise me that you won't do anything crazy dad, promise me." His expression turns serious, "I promise."

I nod, satisfied, and he takes the opportunity to speak, "Lena, I need you to make a promise now." He cups my face in his hands, and I look at his face as he speaks with the most serious face I have ever seen on him, "When you are in that arena, do everything you can to survive. You're a tough girl. You know how to kill." He's right. Years at the academy have taught me how to kill, where to strike a human to put them down, and how to defend myself. Despite this, I am not very hopeful. There are going to be five other careers in that arena, and I have no idea what the tributes from the rest of the districts will be capable of. "Dad there's no way I'm going to be able to win." He just shakes his head, "I know my daughter. You're a survivor. You always have been. It's something you got from me I guess," I let out a strained laugh at his attempt of a joke, and he doesn't hesitate to continue, "Just try to win, okay?" 

I nod, but he doesn't stop, "Promise me."

I bite the inside of my cheek, "I promise."

No sooner have the words left my mouth before the doors to the room open. I panic, because I know our time is up, and I throw myself forward to hug them tight. They return the embrace, both of them openly sobbing now, and we hold on to each other for as long as we can before the peacekeepers pull them away from me. I make eye contact with them one last time, trying to memorize their features, before the door is slammed shut. 

I let out a shaky breath and I fall down onto the couch in the room, the old fabric feeling rough against my skin, but I don't focus on that as I try to catch my breath. A few minutes pass, and I seem to have finally collected myself when the door opens again. I look up, and I see that it's Anya that has come to visit me.