Chapter 21

*Hi everyone! Thanks so much for your patience. I know this chapter may seem a little scattered but it lays the foundation for an intense turn the book is about to make! Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns - Thank you, K.A.*

JASPER'S POV:  

My mind was wrapped around everything that happened last night, I kept replaying it over and over. Trying to think of a defense, or a good willed argument at least to present to Mr. Davis this morning. But, of course, all the variables presented to me led me to make conclusions and argument that were about as sturdy as a playing card. Each bone with very little tenacity.

Be respectful, don't speak unless spoken to. I tried to repeat Mr. Patry's encouraging words in my head, but it was hardly effective. No matter how many times I told myself this, every time I rehearsed myself in Mr. Davis' office resulted in my imaginary self-blurting out excuses that only made everything worse.

And stay away from sharp objects, of course. How could I forget that one?

"Hello?" My brother answered sleepily.

"Hey! Hey buddy, how's it going? Did I wake you?" I was so excited that it was actually he who answered and I wouldn't have to endure battling though my dad and aunt.

"Jasper, it's 6:30 in the morning. What do you think I was doing? Washing the dishes?"

He got his sarcasm from me. I was always proud of that.

"Yeah, I know but I wanted to call and catch you before dad wakes up."

That was partially a lie, it was mostly because I didn't know if this would be the last time I could speak to him before Mr. Davis strangles me.

"It's going alright, I have practice today but that's all I'm doing. What's going on with you?"

"Oh, nothing really. New day, same stuff." My subconscious was still at war with my conscious, should I tell him that I've given up all hope of coming home?

"You ok? You sound funny."

"Just got into some trouble last night, that's all."

"Oh yeah, dad told me you were transferred to a disciplinary school."

My entire body clenched at that. He's been lying to my bother all this time, telling him that my going away was to enhance some "basic skills" that I was lacking. But now, after our last phone call, he decides to tell the truth and that can only mean one thing: I'm screwed. That just marked me right there. He's managed to taint my image in my little brothers mind.

"What did you do?" He asked suddenly.

"I don't want to talk about it buddy."

"Come on, please tell me. No one tells me anything anymore." He sounded fully awake this time, his curiosity coursing loudly through the phone.

"I made out with the headmasters daughter."

"You did not!" He acclaimed, a little admiration subtly hiding in his tone. "You kissed the headmasters daughter?"

"It was a little more than a kiss, but you'll learn the difference when you get older."

"What was it like?"

I smiled, reliving the moment in my head. Thinking of the amount of excitement and adrenaline I had in the duration.

"It was good, it was very, very good."

"You're so cool." He beamed through the phone.

Facing the wall, I suddenly was aware of a tall shadow creeping beside my own. My fear already knew who it belonged to, but I still clung onto that little ray of hope that it wouldn't be verified.