9. Worship the devil

✦❘༻ Worship the devil ༺❘✦

┏━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━┓

I found the devil
I found him in a lover
And his lips like tangerines
And his colour-coded speak

┗━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━┛

16th century, Then Korea

A group of men, holding fire torches, walks swiftly towards a home built far away from the village.

"Sung-cheon! Bring your daughter out!" one of the men yells. "Sung-cheon!"

"What is it Dongwon? What brings you here at this time of the night?" Sung-cheon emerges from inside, half sleepy. He squints his eyes in an attempt to get a better look at them.

"Where is your daughter?" One of them asks. Sung-cheon points inside his home.

"Inside."

"Call her out," Dongwon barks.

"Before I call her out, I want to ask what is happening here?" Sung-cheon steps down to their level.

"What's wrong father?"

All their eyes turn to a young woman who comes out of the home after the noises outside. Sung-cheon puts his hand around his daughter and looks at the men.

"Miso, is there anything you want to tell me?" her father asks the almond eyed girl. She shakes her head.

"Why would she say anything to you Sung-cheon. She is a witch worshipping the devil."

Sung-cheon's head snapped to the person who even dared to blame his daughter. "How dare you!" He is fuming with anger.

"Bring her," before Dongowong finishes the sentence, one of the men who tried to touch her is already on the ground, bleeding at the corner of his mouth.

"Do not touch her. I cannot tolerate your baseless accusations on my daughter. What is the proof you have?" Sung-cheon asks, his chest puffed. The men look at each other. "That is what I thought," he adds. Dongwon pours some oil on the ground in a circle and looks up.

"Miso, this is holy oil. I know what you have been doing and I know you are lying. But, in case you aren't, there is no reason for you to be afraid of stepping in and standing in the ring of holy fire right?" Dongwon says.

"She will do so. She is the child of the holy lord," Sung-cheol says. Miso's face turns white.

Jimin, please help.

She gulps and walks to the oil ring and steps inside it. Her heart keeps pounding in her chest. She flinches when Dongwon lights it with his fire torch. Her body slowly feels the heat even though the ring is pretty big. Dongwon starts reading out some words. A cloud of black smoke appears above her. Her breathing gets heavy and she looks back at her father whose face is filled with shock.