CHAPTER 11

I flutter my eyes open and I'm in my room. I feel a grip on my hand; I look to my side and find Chloe with tears in her eyes. Chloe's here; I wanted to believe the last thing I remember was a nightmare, but if she's here, it must be true. Someone really kidnapped Mom.

"Chloe, what am I going to do?" I ask, barely audible as tears form in my eyes. It doesn't take me more than a second before they burst from me.

"Everything is going to be fine; we're going to find her," she says, pulling me into a hug.

***

After crying until I'm out of tears, I walk out of the room to find my mate. I remember picking up his scent before I blacked out, so I'm surprised I didn't see him when I woke up. I'm hurt he didn't wait around to see if I was okay or come by after.

I knock on his door and wait for him to tell me to come in before I walk inside. His scent inside the room is soothing, and I can hear his heartbeat from inside. I gently open the door and find my mate putting on his shirt. Before his shirt drops on his body, I get a beautiful glimpse at his hard abs. I can feel my cheeks heating up with the thought of my hands running all over them.

"What do you want?" he asks sternly. I'm sad that's the first question he asks me. I just woke up after fainting, and he can't even ask me how I'm doing. That hurts a lot, coming from my mate.

"I'm sure you heard my mother is missing. I would like to leave to look for her."

"You're not going anywhere."

"Why?" I ask, confused.

"Because it's not safe for you to leave."

"Why is it not safe for me to leave?"

"Word has spread that I have found my mate. A lot of enemies will be after your life."

"I know that, but it's not like if I was captured they could use me to threaten you. You don't care about me. It might actually make your life easier."

"I don't need to show you that I care about you. You're not leaving,"

He isn't making sense. If you don't show someone you care about them, how will they know?

"I need to leave. I can't sit here and do nothing while my Mom is missing."

"Your old Alpha is searching for her," he says as if that means the problem is solved.

"Even so, I have to try and find her myself."

"No, you don't."

"Yes, I do," I'm not trying to argue with him.

"Elizabeth," he says in a warning tone. This is the first time he's used my name, and he's angry. It makes me sad that the first time my mate calls my name is with anger. And he has no right to be. "You're not leaving this territory, and that's final."

I'm about to protest, but I know it'll be of no use. I quickly walk out of his room and return to mine, where I suddenly feel drained about everything. My Mom is missing, my mate refuses to allow me to look for her, and he talks to me like I'm not his mate, his equal. I don't hold back the tears, allowing them to fall like almost every day in my horrible life since I met my mate.

I hear my door open while I'm lying on the bed. I don't need to look to know who it is. I pick up Chloe's scent, but it's not only hers I smell. She also smells of Liam. Once she stands in front of me I can't stop myself from crying more when I see the marking on her neck.

Chloe has only been here a few hours, and she and Liam have already completed their mating process. I don't want to be jealous of my best friend, but it hurts. I've been here longer and met my mate first, but my mate is why I cry in my bed. Why was I given such a cruel mate? Why?