part forty-three

the one with withdrawals and denials.

part forty-three

She's got the jitters.

Juno would like to think that the nervous restlessness she's feeling this morning stems solely from her little escapade yesterday, but she knows that's not true. It probably has more to do with her coming back to the dorm last night only to realize that a few items were very conspicuously missing.

The vial of silver liquid and strange notes were gone.

Maybe it was stupid to leave them both in the same drawer. But there were far more expensive things in the room that she assumes would've appealed more to the perpetrator. So why were those specific things taken? It hurts her brain even to start speculating.

First a murderer, now a thief. What is wrong with this place?

And her friends had told her not to worry too much about it, but it continues to reside at the back of her mind. Only a person who recognized the importance of those items would've taken them. But who? It's too much to even begin thinking about.

Yet, deep down, Juno knows the real reason she's so jittery this morning isn't even because of that. Truth is, the vial and notes weren't the only things taken. So was the little pill bottle she'd swiped from the doctor's office.

The pills that have literally been helping her get through hell.

She'd left out that minute detail when telling her friends about everything, of course. Not only would she sound like a druggie, but she'd promised herself not to get dependent on them. She'd vowed to herself that she would only use them in moments of extremely high stress. But it seemed like every moment from then on became a 'moment of extremely high stress' and here she is now, breaking into a cold sweat at the breakfast table, trying not to pass out.

The thought comes then: she should set up an appointment with Doctor Han and sneak some of the stuff again? Immediately, Juno feels ashamed.

What on earth is she becoming?

But God, Juno has never felt quite so physically shitty. She feels too hot and too cold at the same time, her lids are heavy with sleep but it just wouldn't come last night, and sitting down in one spot is feeling like too much work. Her throat keeps closing up but she feels like she wants to vomit and her fingers won't stop shaking.

So this is what actual withdrawal symptoms are like. But really, what do they put in that stuff? The pill bottle itself had no labels save for a bright purple sticker with some random numbers on the front.

A steaming coffee cup is suddenly placed in front of her.

"You look like shit," Haechan comments tactlessly, gesturing to it. "And for once, you're not shoveling down food like you haven't eaten in days, so at least drink this."

Juno frowns, trying to decide whether she should address his little insult or say thanks first.

Sighing, he pushes the cup into her hand. "Just take it."

Mark's brows furrow. "Hey, are you okay?" Juno's lip quirks; he's always the first one to ask her that question. He leans across the table now, examining her face. "You look really pale."

"And your lips are blue," Livi adds, concerned now too.

"That's their natural color." Juno spouts whatever crap comes to mind. "I'm just not wearing any makeup today. Hey, that's actually kinda offensive. You guys think I look sick just because there's nothing on my face?"