CH. 4

"Chick-Fil-A?" Joziah said as he, Keia, and Lei lounged around in the living room. The trio had finished their classes for the day and was throwing out ideas of places to eat at since they were starving. So far, their week had gone by smoothly; they took advantage of any free time they had since there wasn't any work to be done yet.

Lei hadn't spoken to Raj much since the ordeal in the car. She was ashamed to say that she felt embarrassed by it; the only other people who saw her like that before was her family — and even then, she felt embarrassed because they didn't know exactly what to do.

Deep down, Lei knew she had nothing to be embarrassed about, but the thought of Raj seeing her in pure distress made her cringe. Neither one spoke about that night since it happened, even though Raj was the one who rode to the hospital with her once the ambulance arrived on the scene.

After the accident, Lei was left with a severely injured back that she still to this day took pain meds for. She hated that she did because she was somewhat dependent on them.

"Man, I'm tired of eating that," Lei groaned, throwing her head back as she repeatedly slapped the TV remote down on her leg.

"Same, we been eating that all week for lunch." Keia yawned, sliding her hand under her shirt to rub her stomach. "How bout' Zaxby's?"

"I don't want no damn chicken," Joziah complained, sighing. He heard as both Lei and Keia sucked their teeth, beginning to mug him. "What?" he held his hands out in confusion.

"Nigga why suggest Chick-Fil-A then?" Lei rolled her eyes, "How bout Publix? I think I want a sandwich from there,"

Keia and Joziah exchanged glances as Joziah thought to himself, slowly nodding his head. "I think I could go for Publix right now; I want a wrap," he said.

"Yeah, I haven't had Publix since I been back. I highkey want a Buffalo chicken sandwich," Keia agreed, her mouth drooling, thinking about it.

"It's settled then, Publix it is." Lei tossed the remote to the side, pushing herself up from the sofa. Both Keia and Joziah got up and followed behind her; they all walked out of the house and headed towards Joziah's car. As they all got settled, Lei saw as her phone lit up as a notification came through.

Raj 💙
u busy?

Lei stared down at the text message, tapping the back of her phone. She twisted her lips to the side as she began to type back a response.

Lei
yea boutta go to publix with Keia and Jojo...

"I need y'all opinion on something," Joziah said, fiddling with the knobs to turn on the air since the heat from the sun made the car feel like an oven.

"What's up?" Keia popped her gum, texting on her phone. Lei glanced up from up hers to look up at him from the backseat.

"So remember that nigga I was fucking wit' before we left for summer?" he coughed into his fist before clearing his throat.

"Yeah, what about him?" Lei raised an eyebrow, still watching him.

"So he wants to make things official between us..." he trailed off; both Lei and Keia squealed in excitement, doing little dances. "But—"

"But?" Lei interrupted him, dropping her hands into her lap. "Don't tell me you having second thoughts about him, Jojo?"

"Forreal, he's the first guy you've messed wit,' and he hasn't tried to hide you or was closeted," Keia added her input.

"Well, he's not closeted on campus," Joziah emphasized, making both of the girls frown a little. "We were on FaceTime one day during the break, and his dad walked in his room, I guess, his dad asked him who he was talkin' to, and he said 'my homeboy.'" he continued.