FORTY 🌸

PATTERS OF raindrops drummed against my window as I loaded my wrists up with thick bangles, forcing them to seem ornamental to my outfit

"I'm gonna do it!" Cam burst into my room holding the red gown draped over his two arms delicately.

My heart almost failed, one of my wrists were still bare. I grabbed a chunky silver bangle and slipped it on, it was the first one that I laid my hand on and it didn't match the elegance of my floor length navy gown.

"Do what?" I answered shakily.

"Jamie convinced me to wear this dress tonight. I'm gonna do it Fearne." I could see the nervousness in his whole demeanour.

A guy, wearing a dress so openly? I should be repulsed, offering advice and prayer. But instead I was proud.

"You look stunning, but that's tacky." He pointed to my wrist and immediately I hid it behind my bum. "So, you think I should?"

"Yeah, be you." I smiled reassuringly and he nodded his head before bouncing off across the hallway to his own bedroom.

Tonight was some charity fundraiser for Lakeland Academy, like they even needed more funding. Everyone was leaving via limousine from the Maines household and I could already hear the clamorous voices from Jordan and Liams bickering downstairs.

Cam wasn't the only one feeling nervous. This was going to be the first time seeing Arlo since he sent me those pictures.

Slowly and with a twisting stomach I made my way to the family kitchen. The hustle and bustle was chaotic but Chloe grabbed me instantly.

"Fearne! Oh my god! You look gorgeous." She gushed with hysterical excitement.

My smile was toned to low and I acknowledged her compliment with a simple word of thanks. But really, my mind was on Arlo who pottered around the kitchen cupboards in another mouthwatering suit.

"Fucking tuna! It stank like fucking tuna!" Jordan yelled. Liam laughed in a carefree way. "No Liam, that's not funny. I kept telling Tia to get herself to the doctors." All of their friends laughed now.

"I bet that went down well." Zak commented with sarcasm.

"Can I heat this?" Arlo asked Olivia. I purposely sat myself on my usual barstool, flicking through a magazine without actually reading or taking interest in the pictures.

"They have a buffet there Arlo, don't fill yourself up on popcorn." Olivia replied. Arlo tossed the bag of corn aside and opened the fridge. He took out a Tupperware tub of Liams curry and smelt it.

"Can I heat this?" Olivia just gave him a tilted head stare.

"No that's my katsu." Liam shouted over.

"Ohhhhh, that's your curry is it?" Jordan muttered childishly. He marched over to Arlo and grabbed it from his hand, peeling back the lid and taking a bite cold. "Mmmm this katsu curry is chefs kiss." Zak and Ben both made appropriate sound effects to pump up this fight.