Chapter 18. Wanted man [Caleb]

The sky behind them is ink black. A window to an infinite stretch of space. Clouds in ominous shapes, masses of a dark grey, crowd around the two beings in the foreground.

The moon is out behind them. It's shining brightly along with the millions of small splatters of glowing stars. It makes their skin radiate.

There's an outcry for help. Arms reaching wide, a helping hand outstretched. They're mere millimeters away from touching.

Fabrics are draped around their privates. Silk-like clothes. Their faces are filled with youthful brightness yet still sculpted with sheer sureness and rough edges. Lush, voluptuous lips set in a downward scowl. Eyes flashing with worry.

Their wings keep them in the air, but for how long? Their wings create an image of power. Even still in positions like these, where falling seems to be the only outcome. The only end to it all.

The picture that's up on my screen reminds me of M.

In some way or another, the picture reflects him almost perfectly. The same strong wings, same handsome face, sculpted to perfection.

But the picture is also an exact reflection of the first time I set my eyes on him. There's the same fear in his eyes, filled with existential dread. The frown on his face had shown the crisis that went on inside his mind at the time. It's still there sometimes.

I click on the print icon.

The old copier, which most definitely has seen better days and that the school refuses to replace, sparks to life. Under my laptop, it shakes a little bit. Working hard on printing all the information about angels that I've gathered. Pictures and pages filled with images and words of stories.

I'm going to show it to M when I get home. Not all of it, of course. We'll be going easy. Slow and steady wins the race.

It's not the only reason. What Mr. Larson told me, well, it scared me.

I don't want to push M too much. To the brink that the stress is all that's there. The driving factor that forces him to be stuck here, forever. Not able to see the people he loves nor remember them.

There's also a selfish part of me that doesn't want the immense feeling of guilt. Knowing I'm the reason why.

So M and I will just talk and look at some pictures. I'll read some of the stories aloud. We'll see if it sparks something. And if something happens, then it happens.

Things seem to be going fine anyway. Besides, the bumps here and there. The memories do seem to come back, although at a snail's pace.

But that leaves room for other things too.

Shopping with M had been fun. It had been the most fun I've had for a while. If he's up for it, we could try other things. Maybe it'll help ease his mind and mine too.

"There you are," The clingy voice of my best friend yells from down the libraries' many bookshelves. Her bag is hanging off of her shoulder. Sneakers squeaking with every step on the clean-swept floor.

"You didn't answer my call," Tina says. She stops beside me and leans over my shoulder to catch a glimpse of my screen.

I smack my laptop shut before she manages to read anything.

"Sorry," I tell her. "I just wanted to hurry with some papers before I have to go home."

I don't have a printer at home. It's ridiculous. But with all the stuff we have, a printer is the one thing we don't have.

"Papers on angels?" She takes out an image from the printer and cocks her head. "Since when are you interested in stories about angels?"

"Since it's none of your business," I reply.

I take the papers out of her hands. I fold them neatly and put them into my bag. Hopefully, there won't be many creases when I get home. I put my computer into my bag as well and sling it over my shoulder.

"Fine, be that way," She crosses her arms. "So, are you staying for my tryouts?"

I groan.

I've overlooked everything about tryouts today. Stressing too much about leaving M all alone at home.

"I'm so sorry, Tina," I come up with an apology. "But I can't, not today."

M is waiting for me at home. Probably bored out of his mind.

"It's okay, Caleb," She shrugs. "Well, I'm off. See you tomorrow."

She dashes off to the gym giving me a quick wave before she's gone out the door.

I turn off the printer and make my way out of the school's library.

Walking down the hallway. My phone pings with an incoming message. I take my phone out to see a message from Lucy.

[Lucy] 13:46: I'm eating dinner at Steffanys. Her mom will drive me home.

I send her a short text telling her to have fun and a thumbs up. This just means I have less to worry about when I get home.

I pick up my pace. I'm almost by the familiar red double doors. The entrance and the exit to the school. When a high-pitched voice stops me.

"Caleb!" The voice pitches.

A blond-haired girl stops beside me. She's blushing.

"Can I help you?" I ask questioningly.

I don't know who she is. I don't think she's in any of my classes.

She bites her glossy lips. Her teeth leave a mark. She's looking up at me shyly, eyes big.

"Have you heard about Kyle's party?" She starts. Her fingers, playing with a lock of her hair.

"Yeah, I'm going," I raise a brow. "Why?"

I have no idea where this is going.

"Well, I've seen you around, and I think you're really cool," She says. "I was wondering if you wanted to go together. Like as dates?"

The look of shock on my face must scare her because her expression turns almost fearful.

"I'm gay," I add. My mouth goes off before my brain can catch on.

Her face becomes beet red. If that is even humanly possible. But mine might look just like hers.

"Oh," She says, surprised. "I'm sorry, I had no idea."

"No, it's fine." I scratch the back of my head. Giving her a friendly smile. "It's nice of you to ask."

She bops her head, mind probably already running away from the conversation. So does her body, a few seconds later. She just rushes off without saying anything else.

I wince but shrug the awkward encounter off.

Tightening the strap of my bag over my shoulder. I rush out the double doors. Making my way over to my bike in record time.

Why am I suddenly so visible all of a sudden. Is it my new haircut that I got before summer started?

I shake it off and jump on my bike on my way back home to M.