24. Press On

"It's time to leave." Jude announced a few hours later.

Alexei's hand on my hip tightened briefly before he sighed into the skin of my neck. He wasn't ready to part with me.

I was still trying to grasp the fact that someone had bestowed him with the name 'Rogue Killer.'

Truthfully, I had no idea what to think of his reputation among the Rogues.

I also found it peculiar that as a past Rogue myself, I had never heard of the Rogue Killer. I guess, that was the downside of living more amongst the humans than the shifters. Shifter news rarely travelled towards human Territories and if it did, it usually died a quick death

Alexei exhaled another sigh, "I have to go now."

"Maybe we should talk more about this Rogue Killer thing when we get back to the Pack."

Alexei scrutinised my expression, "You don't believe me?"

"It's not that. I just realised how little we know each other. Knowing that a lot of people refer to you as the Rogue Killer is unsettling." I admitted.

He stiffened. "Unsettling?"

"I don't think you're telling me everything."

"Are you scared of me now, knowing what I did?"

"No." I meant that too.

"Then what's with the expression on your face?"

"You could say I'm just confused."

"Then we'll talk when we get back to the Pack." He said. "I don't have the time now to unpack everything to you right now."

"Are you angry?" I asked.

His jaw flexed. "We'll talk later."

He was definitely angry.

I could still feel the hot imprint of his hand on me when he retracted it.

It was decided Alexei, Jude, Kian, Allison, and Tatum would return in their wolf forms, taking the journey on rugged terrain. Jude's presence was required at the Pack as soon as possible and Alexei would be his shield as they traversed towards home.

Jamison appointed himself as the driver when Aella and I hopped into the truck. She stole the front passenger seat, sensing my need to be left alone in the back. I thanked her quietly, strapping myself in with the seatbelt.

Jamison had already checked our cargo, ensuring the lion was still heavy with sedatives to bother leaping off the back tub to escape. He also checked the binds on his legs before adjusting the blanket over the sleeping animal. He tightened the straps that crossed over the body to hold it down. Once he assessed the animal and jumped behind the wheel, he extended a palm to the backseat where I sat. "You probably want this back."

I took my phone, offering gratitude.

The engine roared. Smoke puffed from behind the truck, briefly obscuring my view of the cabin with black clouds.

The drive back consisted of Jamison and Aella bantering about miniscule things. Sometimes they wanted my input. I tried my best to not interfere in their squabbles. It wasn't a difficult feat since Jamison's sarcasm belonged on Comedy Central. He was effortlessly funny without meaning to, which made it even more hilarious.

At some point, Aella had blasted the country station on until we could hear nothing but her terrible rendition of a Sam Hunt song.

Jamison tried to refer her to a specialist.