013

february 1st, 2024
9:21 am

THE PALE MORNING SUN managed to creep underneath the blinds and flashed across Noelani's face

She blinked a couple of times and then covered both of her irises by folding the crook of her elbow over both of her eyes, "Mmm."

With the other arm, Noelani patted Jalen's side of the bed and then sat up when her hand didn't make contact with skin, "Jay?"

"In here!" Jalen called out to her, "You're still meeting up with your dad and Erin today, right?"

Noelani threw the thick, champagne colored covers off of her, padded over and stuck only her head inside, "Nah, something came up with T.J."

Jalen was standing extremely close to the sink, holding his diamond encrusted '4' chain in the mirror and then put it down onto when he noticed her reflection, "Baby, do you know where my grills are?"

Noelani immediately scrunched her face up and then walked closer to pick up her toothbrush with her dominant hand, "I hate those big ass grills. I don't know where they are but I really hope you don't find them shits."

Jalen gave her an exasperated look before going back to searching for his jewelry, "I bet your lazy ass cousin stole them."

This time it was Noelani's time to make a face mid-brush, "She's not a thief."

"That you know of," Jalen finished, "Ah. Here they are."

Noelani spit out a foamy wad of toothpaste and then paused to watch, eyebrows scrunched as her boyfriend popped in one set of the grills onto his bottom row of teeth.

She shook her head before continuing to brush and then placing the toothbrush back in the holder and then gently pulled the velvet scrunchie out of her hair so her curls would fall onto one side.

Jalen turned away from the counter and towards Noelani, "If I asked Ayo to ask her grandma at her restaurant for a job for Leilani, how would you feel?"

Noelani blew out a raspberry, "I wouldn't mind but Lei's gonna hate waitressing."

"Yeah, well. She needs to do something because I don't know how much longer I can take having her in my house." Jalen snickered a little.

"It's our house, not just yours." Noelani reminded her boyfriend before gargling some mouthwash and spitting it out.

"I pay the bills, it's mine." Jalen shook his head as he examined himself in the mirror.

Noelani froze at his words, a sting running up and down her spine at his audacity.

As if she needed another reminder that the only thing she had going for herself was him and their baby.

As if she needed another reminder that she was just another bored housewife.

He made eye contact with Noelani, "I didn't-. Baby, I didn't mean what I said. It just slipped out. I'm sor-."

"You know what?" Noelani interrupted him as she snatched the scrunchie once more and pulled her hair up, "Let me get out of here since this is your bathroom in your room in your house."

"Baby," Jalen tried again but Noelani slipped out of his grip and passed him a furious expression, "Don't touch me Jalen. I'm so fucking serious."

Then she stepped out of the bathroom and strolled to her dresser to begin quickly plucking out her plush baby pink robe.

"Lani, I ain't mean it that way." Jalen tried to enclose his hand around her wrist but Noelani stepped away from him, jerking the hand that he tried to grab up in the air, "Please. Baby, please."

"No, you go enjoy your house by yourself," Noelani tied the robe to cover up her still pajama covered body before strutting out of the room.

She needed to calm down and there was only one person in the house who still had yet to piss her off.

Noelani closed the door to the room she desired then crossed the space, barefoot.

She stood at the window in her daughter's nursery, her gaze on the cell phone now in her hands.

She sighed as the sound of ocean waves softly emanated from the device, a video that Jalen had recorded of her surfing from the last time that Noelani was home.

On the screen, she could see a past version of herself expertly riding the high tides, her curls loose and the sun glinting off of her brown skin.

Cheers and whoops were audible behind her boyfriend and in response, Noelani had released what was once a trademarked carefree and bold smile.

The Noelani in that video wasn't a mother, hadn't moved in with a boyfriend and was still able to drop everything to see the ocean.

She was utterly and completely free.

Once the video was over, Noelani let out a soft sigh then stole a glance to where her daughter was still laying down in her crib before walking over.

The almost toddler was still fast asleep, the sound of her low breaths now the only sound in the room.

Noelani gently placed the palm of her hand on the side of Alani's face, throughly admiring her features and how soft her cheek was.

Even through the closed door, Noelani could hear Jalen's sneaker covered footsteps squeak for a bit and then stop right outside the door.

He better not open this door, Noelani thought to herself as she continued to lovingly stroke her daughter's face.

But nonetheless, the golden knob in the door turned and gently opened with a creak to let Jalen poke his head in.

At once, Alani's brown eyes popped open and she began to fuss causing Noelani to sigh with annoyance.

"Hey Lani, uh... I'm not gonna be back until late tonight." Jalen said in a low tone, watching from the doorway as Noelani picked their child up, her back still to him, "So, don't wait up."

Noelani rolled her eyes at the sound of his voice, choosing instead to focus on rocking Alani back to sleep.

"I love you. And I'm sorry about what I said," She could hear his feet step closer to her and once his body heat was close enough that she could feel it through the material of her robe, Noelani stepped away.

"Watch out, bruh," Noelani replied in a curt tone.

The room fell silent for a few tense moments until the sound of Jalen leaving was the only sound.

NOTE FROM KY
vote & comment, porfa!