47 | M

Mattia

"Great party, Mattia."

Nuelle was doing a great job at pushing all my buttons and the smirk on my brother's face as the result of my bitterness was truly the cherry on top.

A little spark of hope had filled my heart when she called back but after hearing Marco talking in the background, I knew that it would not be easy to go through with what I had planned.

Dammit, I cursed at myself. I was aware of the mistakes that I had made in the past, but this time there was a lot more at stake because I was making myself completely vulnerable and could possibly ruin my relationship with my brother.

I watched as she walked up the stairs, not giving either one of us a second look. I turned back to Marco who flashed me his teeth before he attempted to walk straight passed me.

"What did you do?" I stopped him when our shoulders aligned.

He turned sideways to address me, "I took her away from the party because she was too hurt to stay."

"Where did you take her?"

He frowned upon my question, "Why don't you ask Nuelle for the details." He walked away before I had a chance to ask what I actually wanted to know.

I stood quietly for a few seconds, the voices in my head were having a staff meeting about the best approach to deal with this situation. Under no circumstances did I want to hurt the people around me— especially Emmanuelle, not again.

But somehow it seemed impossible for the outcome of this situation to be one hundred percent positive. Either way, someone was going to get hurt.

I returned to my room after Anthony called to tell me that he was on his way. As soon as I ended our call my phone started to ring again. I groaned when I saw Gia's name on the screen.

I put the phone to my side as I sat down on the bed and buried my face in my hands. I could not imagine what must have been going through her mind, I left her on our engagement party in the hope of winning back someone else.

"Mattia," Anthony announced his arrival.

"Yeah," I looked up, my attention was immediately caught by the envelope in his hand.

"Passports and tickets to London. The flight is in three days."

I gulped, "Thanks."

"Have you spoken to her?"

I shook my head, still contemplating whether that would be a good idea or not.

"You're having second thoughts?"

"She came home with Marco just now, wearing his fucking clothes." I complained.

Anthony was surprisingly calm. I had expected him to turn on his protector mode as he usually did when it came to Nuelle.

"You don't seem worried."

"I trust that Marco wouldn't do anything that she didn't want him to do." He explained.

A sarcastic smile coated my lips,  "Well, that's great."

When my phone started ringing again I almost threw it against the wall out of frustration.

"I can feel your judgment, Anthony."

"Can you blame me? Three days ago you were dead sure about getting married to Gia and now you're ignoring her calls, because you want to run away with Nuelle?" He frowned.

"I'm not," I paused to take a deep breath. "I'm not trying to run away."

"Is it because of what Rafael said?"