28

A T R E U S

I've counted each plain white square tile in this waiting room again and again while I paced. The plain white colours and hints of yellow didn't serve its purpose of calming me.

Remi has been in the room for almost 30 minutes now, going after the doctor approved. You couldn't take so long on a patient who had minor injuries unless she didn't have minor injuries.

Like if I had willed it into existence Remi broke around the corner I had been staring at, looking quite put together. His unruly dirty blonde hair set it off though.

He didn't have to come far as I shot up from my chair and went to him.

"Is she okay?"

"More than okay, let's just say this isn't the worst thing that has happened."

"I don't want to know what's the worst thing then." I'm glad he found my statement funny enough to laugh at because I didn't.

We went up three floors in the elevator, stopping by the desk for Remi to sign some papers. He told me the room number and I was on. I saw her as I bent the corner to her room since the blinds were slightly open. She wasn't in the bed like I had expected but standing at the window back to the door.

At the opening of the door, she turned to me, her once focused look vanishing into a bright smile.

"You aren't in the bed." I muttered nervously as I shut the door behind me and taking small steps into the room.

"I don't think here is the right place or time for that." I was unable to help my smile at that.

"You know what I mean, I expected you to be in the bed because I thought you had injuries. And please don't think I'm wishing you bad because I'm not I was just...worried." I cringed at my own nervous rant, knowing that wasn't the word I wanted to use to describe the feeling I had.

"Why would I think that?" She moved towards me, meeting me halfway in the middle of the room.

"How are feeling?" I questioned instead. Nothing seemed to look out of place besides the black tape peeking out of her shirt.

Following my line of sight, she pulled her shirt to the side to show me the rest that lead down the side of her neck and over her shoulder.

"I pulled a few muscles in my neck and shoulder. It really isn't that bad, but the doctor said I would really feel the pain in coming days."

I hummed but didn't say anything, honestly lost in the thoughts of what ifs. I'm pulled from it when she took my hand and lifted it to her cheek. I couldn't stop myself from tilting my head with hers as she leaned into my touch.

"I'm truly fine, just a bit shaken up is all."

"I was so scared." I admitted softly, leaning in to rest my head against hers.

"And that's fine but I'm here now, with you."

"With me." Gently I pulled her in for a hug, mine full of her left shoulder as I leaned into the right.

Thoughts ran through my mind with haste, the bad turning into good as possibilities rose. Why is it that when you have something you never see it wholeheartedly until something happens where it can be taken away from you. Not only with people but with everything in life the good things tend to come easy for some and they overlook it until they lose it or nearly lose it. But shouldn't I have been like some people where good things don't come easy and they appreciate everything they have. Shouldn't I have...

Pulling away abruptly, I took her hands away from my hair, holding them in mine, "Will you be my girlfriend?"

Before she could answer my nervous rant began again, "I know we can't entertain the idea that we're still just friends but I want make it official."

"You're cute when you're nervous." That wasn't the response I was hoping for as she leaned up on her tip toes to kiss my cheek.

"Yes, I'll be your girlfriend." Powerless over my grin, I held the sides of her face and slanted my lips over hers.

I took the time to savour this kiss with the thought at the forefront of my mind that I was kissing my girlfriend. Just before it could get heated, I pulled away and looked down at her.

"Don't scare me like that again...and I'm not cute."

Her grin was mocking as she pulled away from my hold, pulling me along with her to sit.

"All I can say is don't watch my race next week and-"

"Next week? You're going back so soon?"

"Well, I'm already going to miss the do over race in two days so I have to go to the next race." She didn't say that like she was content with it at all.

"Why are you missing it?" I didn't ask what she wished to hear but rather the question that had her discontented.

"My team thinks it's smart to sit out the rematch and rejuvenate for the next. I agree, I do."

"But?" When she sat, I took the seat beside hers.

"But nothing, I'm just really put out about how that Italian bastard crashed into my car." She sighed with exasperation relaxing into the chair.

"Think of it this way, it happened so I could finally see that I needed to make you my girlfriend and...it gave us an entire week to celebrate." I wiggled my brows as I slid my hand onto her jean clad thigh.

"Celebrate how exactly?" It warmed my heart that she always met my playful antics, even when put out as she says.

"I'm not sure," I said playing coy, "But what I am sure about is that we can figure something out." I slithered my hand over the back of her chair, leaning in.

Her hand slid up my chest, between my jacket and to the back of my neck, guiding me closer, "We can..." 

Vote and comment, enjoy your day/night.