40. Word Play

SCARLETT

"And how are the children?", I asked on the call.

"They're missing you. It's been a while since they saw you.", said the lady on the other side.

"Oh I miss them too. Hope they are doing well. By the way I forgot to transfer the funds this month. I'll send it before midnight."

"No need for it Lett. Everything is pretty well, and you know, we received a grant of 30 million yesterday night.", she said in an excited tone.

"What? I mean that's pretty much. Who was the donor?"

"Sorry, they asked us to keep their information confidential."

"Come on, I'm a family. I hope you still consider me as a part."

"Of course we do. Fine, if you insist... It was some Ms. Lily Jones who personally visited the orphanage and gave it on behalf of their organization."

Lily Jones... That name sounds familiar.

"Good for y'all, still I'll send my part too, it belongs to the children. And tell them I'll be there as soon as I can."

"Okay darling. See ya.", she said and I hung up.

"Who was it?", Grace nudged me, suddenly appearing from the corner.

"Caretaker of an orphanage I visit.", I replied.

"The one you bought?", she asked.

"Who told you?", I asked wide-eyed.

"The banks where you have accounts. My contacts are everywhere.", she grinned with glory.

"You were spying on me all these years?"

"Someone's gotta keep tabs on the family's precious jewel.", she playfully said, looking away.

After the wedding ceremony, all came here to the reception hall. Standing at a corner, I feel a pair of blue eyes continuously piercing my soul from far.

Why does he like to complicate things for me?

I looked away in the opposite direction to avoid his gaze.

"So Letty... what's the matter, Eh?", she asked with a raised eyebrow.

"What?" Who am I kidding? She knows me since I was born.

"That gentleman out there.", she said pointing behind me at Aaron, who was standing with a few people, "All the girls in here are drooling over him, while his eyes are only on you." She smirked wagging eyebrows.

"Moreover, I caught you both exchanging glances when all were busy looking at the altar." She is observing me too much these days.

"We have nothing between us.", I affirmed clearly.

"When did I say that?"

"Stop with your word play Grace. I suck at it.", I rolled my eyes.

"I will, once you tell me about the guy. Your eyes can't hide what you have for him."

She would not stop before finding the truth so I had to tell her everything. The whole town knows it, so why not her!

After silently listening to the short summary of my life, she said with a smile, "You saw Letty, you proved how worthy you are of your position. When I lost my love, I was miserable, unlike you.

Work has always been your priority, even when hurt. Nothing can distract you from the path you choose to walk on. I can see clearly how right Dad's decision was."