Chapter 33- A maid's promise

"I really hate this... Father has been unfair in planning this behind my back with Francis!" cried the royal prince, has Wolff set his horse to walk a little faster to escort his prince. They travelled at a steady pace, with several men behind them, most part their guard, but a great number of Sun soldiers also joined on this journey.

And while Cedric, the royal prince, lead two grand rows of armoured men, Wolff was just behind him, the only one able to hear his whining. The aide smiled at his friend, knowing well enough the reason for his displeasure. Though Cedric was not very fond of displays, like the one they had to do till the warehouse, he didn't hate it, as it was part of his duty. Like it was his duty to help when there were frontier problems and he always accepted it without a protest passing through his tongue.

This had nothing to do with his duties, but everything to do with prince Francis visiting the Mountnero family, especially when he had done it without even telling Cedric. The fact the Sun prince could visit lady Lucreatia and he not filled prince Cedric with rashes, which he would never admit to a soul, including his loyal aide. But Wolff knew him too well to know the truth himself.

A gush of a strong wind brought some unwelcome cold, making the prince stop his ranting. The two banners shook with violence in the hands of the squires, each one bringing a unique symbol, one with the glorious Sun, another with inglorious Moon. Taking advantage of the silence granted by the breeze, Wolff, by this time, side by side with his prince, took to himself to guide him.

"Let me remind you, your highness, that being a royal prince comes with its duties. And your father, our great Emperor, is just preparing you for the role of future Emperor." he pushed the black reins of his brown horse, who tried to walk faster, fearing the crowd who watched and cheered for them.  Cedric gave no answer back, his face serious and regal. There was nothing he could say against it, as it was the truth. And while Cedric had yet to be nominated crown prince, everyone in the Moon Empire knew who would be their next Emperor. There were only one of the Emperor's children graced with the approval of the God of Darkness.

But there was time until he was crowned, which gave Wolff plenty of time to make fun of his prince. "There will be other opportunities to see Lady Lucreatia." he smirked, as his prince's ears grew red and his face grimaced.

"You adore to joke with me..." said Cedric, giving him a side glance and galloping a little more, to be sure to be out of Wolff's watchful eyes. And while people screamed for them, some wishing them luck, others in awe and a few with disdainful looks, none understood that the royal prince, who walked in a dark royal suit and with chin up, never looking down, was nothing more than a child embarrassed to be caught on his crush.

When the entourage arrived at an old oak big building in the middle of nowhere, where a Temple overlooked by a hill, Wolff wondered about the fascination that the Sun religion had with hills.

He reached a simple conclusion.  How to show superiority without spelling a word? The answer was to put these oppressive pearl coloured buildings at the top, so none of those who passed them forgot who was in charge of their lives.

Without time to spare Cedric started to give his directions.  Wolff gathered that he would try to finish his tasks fast so they could go for a run around the woods. In freedom, not known in the Sun Empire for them.

Leaving him by his busy self, Wolff dismounted, to give some rest and water to his mount. After he was sure everything was ok with the horse, he went to help some of the people carry provisions to one of the sturdy carts that stood by the shadow of the building. There were curious eyes cast to him, as he expected. The evil ones were too few to be of concern or coming from people whose actions against him would cause them too much suffering to be worth it.