FIFTEEN | year 4

THE TRIWIZARD TOURNAMENT

Cassiopeia gripped her bag, looking outside the window of the castle, she spotted four horses flying through the air pulling a carriage coming in to land at Hogwarts. The hint of blue and white made her eyes widen, and at the same time made her heart drop as she lets out a huff while the students of Hogwarts cheer.

"We've got visitors," smirked Draco, from beside her.

"Yeah and they won't like me," she mumbled, walking away.

•••

"Now we're all settled in and sorted, I'd like to make an announcement," smiled Dumbledore. "This castle will not only be your home this year but home to some very special guests as well. You see Hogwarts has been chosen—"

Dumbledore was cut off by Filch who was limping in a comical way through the aisle, he whispers something to Dumbledore and leaves in the same fashion.

Dumbledore cleared his throat, "So Hogwarts has been chosen to host a legendary event. The Triwizard Tournament. Now for those of you who do not know, the Triwizard Tournament brings together three schools for a series of magical contests," he explained.

Cassiopeia bit her lip as she stared at the entrance of the Great Hall that was shut. She narrows her eyes, making Draco look at her in confusion yet not bothering to care.

"From each school a single contestant is selected to compete. Now let me be clear, if chosen you cannot stand alone. And trust me when I say these contests are not for the faint-hearted, but more of that later." Dumbledore motioned his hand to the door, replacing the eerie look to a bright one. "For now, please join me in welcoming the lovely ladies of the Beauxbatons Academy of magic and their headmistress Madam Maxime."

Cassiopeia lifted her head, turned to the door with her eyes dark in hatred and...guilt? She watches as groups of girls dressed in blue dance up the aisle and release butterflies into the air.

Cassiopeia's eyes met Madam Maxime's who's eyes widen in fear and shock, Cassiopeia nodded a sweet smile on her face. They bow and everyone applauds.

"And now our friends from the north, please greet the proud sons of Dumstrang and the high master Igor Karkaroff!" Dumbledore motions his hands towards the door once again a grin on his face.

A series of older boys walk up the aisle brandishing bo staffs, twirling them around and periodically stabbing them into the ground with a spark effect. As Igor and Dumbledore embrace, Cassiopeia locked eyes with Fleur Delacour, the girl who was always kind towards her, but Cassiopeia did not accept her kindess.

All that aside, she frowned at her plate of food when all the horrid memories of that school came flooding back to her. Indeed, it was strict and classes were quite difficult, but the memories of her being alone and being mean was the only way she would get "attention" from other students.

As she bit into her food, and chatting around her was heard, her eyes gazed on the Gryffindor table where Harry sat. She watched as he smiles chatting with Ron and Hermione, not realising that the girl was staring at him.

She lets out a heavy sigh as she watched the Trio being happy and smiling at each other. Her eyes met Harry's who looked back at her, a face that is not readable, but it wasn't harsh. She sent him a small smile before breaking eye contact.

The chatting of students filled the Hallway, and Cassiopeia found herself chatting with a Dumstrang student who sat beside her. When everyone was finished eating, and it was now time for dessert, Dumbledore cleared his throat grabbing the attention of some students.

"Your attention please! I would like to say a few words," The noise of the chatting died down, and everyone's attention was on the old wizard. "Eternal glory, that is what awaits the student who wins the tri-wizard tournament. But to do this that student must survive three tasks. Three extremely dangerous tasks."

Cassiopeia watches as the boys of the Slytherin house whisper to each other and then smirking, a slight confidence of the challenge that awaits glittering in their eyes.

"For this reason the ministry has seen
fit to impose a new rule. To explain
all this we have the head of the department of international magic cooperation Mister Bartimus Crouch."

Just as Dumbledore stopped speaking, the thunder roars overhead, rain begins pouring from the magical ceiling and screams of students break out. Cassiopeia pulled the hood of her robe over her head while she muttered curses under her breath.

A strange man stands in the doorway, he
casts some magic upwards and seals the roof. Peace is restored. Cassiopeia squinted her eyes to see Mad-Eye Moody entering the room and begins walking, and he limps, breathing heavily as he goes.

"My dear old friend, thanks for coming." Dumbledore chuckled.

"That stupid roof." grumbled Mad-Eye as he took a drink off his flask.

Barty clears his throat. "After much deliberation the ministry has concluded that for their own safety no student under the age of seventeen shall be allowed to put forth their name for the tri-wizard tournament. This decision is final."

The crowd is unsettled, people are booing. Draco scoffing next to his sister.

"That's rubbish! You don't know what
you're doing!" George Weasley yelled.

"Silence!" Dumbledore casts magic over a box which melds into a goblet containing a blue flame." The goblet of fire. Anyone wishing to submit themselves for the tournament
merely write their name upon a piece
of parchment and throw it in the flame
before this hour on Thursday night.
Do not do so lightly, if chosen there's
no turning back. As from this moment
the tri-wizard tournament has begun."

°°°