Chapter Seventy Three - Kinsley

Kinsley ~

I hadn't heard from Adriana in a few days but her harsh words still burned hot in my mind. When she finally called and invited me to go shopping I could tell by the tone of her voice that it was an apology invite.

She wanted to meet me at a dress boutique to shop for dresses for a formal gala that Adriana's father was hosting that evening.

We met outside of the boutique and decided to grab a cup of coffee across the street before starting our shopping trip. Xander followed us, watching me like a hawk and taking a seat a few tables away as if he were invisible.

I laughed under my breath as Xander glared at every person who passed us as if everyone were a threat.

Adriana was her usual bright bubbly self as we sat at the cafe tables exchanging small talk, but I could tell that there was something she wanted to say but couldn't find the words or courage to say it.

She fiddled with her cup during a lull in the conversation and finally cut up the chase.

"Listen Kins. I owe you an apology."

Yes. You do.

"I was out of line the other night and I wanted to explain where I was coming from...not that it's an excuse. I just wanted to talk to you so maybe you'd understand why I lashed out the way I did."

I prepared myself for her excuses of feeling sick or being stressed, even possible blame being put on Dane and Tyson for being harsh with Vincent, but that's not what was said.

"Kinsley... I want you to just listen and not react until I'm finished okay? Because this isn't going to be easy for me to say and I don't want you to take it the wrong way."

I tilted my head to the side and my brows drew together in confusion, but I reluctantly agreed.

This can't be good, otherwise it wouldn't be so hard for her to say.

"I grew up with Dane and Tyson. We've always been close, as are most of the heirs of the families, but...my whole life my family preached and swore that I would end up with Dane...that our families would join together. And growing up Dane was so handsome and charming I just sort of... believed it. When I pictured my life as a married woman, it was always with Dane..."

My mouth went dry at her words and I swallowed hard, trying to control the shock on my face.

"...it became clear when we were teenagers that Dane wasn't interested in me in that way and it devastated me. I was too demanding, too snarky, bitchy and bossy for his taste and he didn't like that. He wanted...someone like you. Now hear me when I say that was a long time ago and those feelings have long since passed but a small part of me will always remember how that felt. The other night when I took a jab at you, saying "I'm not Kinsley"...that was the most jealous hateful part of me showing its ugly head. And I'm so sorry. I want the relationship you have so badly and I think I might have a shot at that with Vincent. When I thought Dane and Tyson might take that opportunity away from me I just...I just lost it."

I nodded my head slowly as I processed Adriana's words, feeling her reach out and clutch my hand.

"I never want to hurt you Kinsley, and I know my words hurt you the other night."

Wrapping my fingers around her hand, I gave her a light squeeze. Her apology was genuine and she had been more vulnerable at that cafe table than I'd ever seen her.

"I forgave you the moment you said it. Because I know you didn't mean it." I said, giving her a smile that seemed to put her at ease.

"But you don't still...you know, feel that way about.."