the message and the messenger

.·:*¨ ¨*:·.

and i love you like like a love song, baby

❉ ╤╤╤╤ ✿ ╤╤╤╤ ❉

"AND BY THE YEAR'S END, the Earth Kingdom capital will be under our control," Zhao continued. Airi bit her tongue slightly to keep her thoughts to herself and reached for her tea to take another sip. Zhao grinned, turning around to the table where Zuko and Airi both sat. "The Fire Lord will have victory."

"If my father thinks the rest of the world will follow him willingly, then he is a fool!" Zuko growled, angry. Airi wasn't even sure what he was angry about anymore- Iroh was the only one who could discern the prince's foul moods, and he was currently far more interested in a rack of weapons than the conversation at hand.

"Two years at sea have done little to calm your temper," Zhao smirked, sitting down next to Zuko. As much as Airi disliked Zhao, she couldn't help but let a laugh slip out from between her firmly pressed together lips. Zhao turned to smirk at her proudly, while Zuko glared at her. "So, how is your search for the Avatar going?"

Airi turned to Zuko, curious to see how he would respond. Instead, a crash from the back of the room distracted all three at the table. Iroh had knocked over the weapons rack he had been staring at. "Ehrm, my fault entirely," he said, smiling slightly as he tucked his hands into his sleeves and back away from the situation with awkward grace. 

"We haven't found him yet," Zuko insisted, his tone and body language begging for Zhao to challenge him. It was painfully laughable to Airi, who wished Zuko would shut up for once and let someone who knew how to talk to people like Zhao deal with the situation. 

"Did you really expect to?" Zhao asked. "The Avatar died a hundred years ago. Along with the rest of the airbenders. Unless you have found some evidence that the Avatar is alive?"

Airi missed Azula. A lot. Airi was never one to back away from a mind game, but the one that Zhao and Zuko were trying to play in front of her made her want to grab the commander's stupid sideburns and the prince's stupid ponytail and bash their heads together. Men were irritating enough as it was, in Airi's opinion at the very least, but the last thing she wanted to witness were the two powerful buffoons in front of her playing a game of who's more manly. It was giving her a headache. 

"No," Zuko said, staring Zhao down. "Nothing."

Zhao obviously didn't believe this. "Prince Zuko, the Avatar is the only thing that could stop the Fire Nation from winning this war," Zhao's voice and pleading, an obvious attempt at manipulation to Airi. He leaned in closer to Zuko and Airi resisted the urge to slam her head into the table. "If you have even a shred of loyalty left, you'll tell me what you found."

Zuko glowered at Zhao. "I haven't found anything," he barked in response. He took a breath to calm his tone. "It's like you said, the Avatar probably died with the rest of the airbenders. Come on Uncle, we're leaving." Airi sighed slightly as Zuko ignored her once more, and remained seated. Zhao was clearly searching them for information, who was to say Airi couldn't do the same?

The guards stopped Zuko with their spears as he approached the door.  Another soldier approaches behind Zhao. "Commander, we interrogated the crew as you requested. They confirmed Prince Zuko had the Avatar in custody but let him escape."

"Now remind me," Zhao smirked, his sideburns twitching in such a manner that made Airi want to shave them off right then and there. "What happened to your ship?"

Zuko and Iroh remained silent. Zhao smirked triumphantly. Airi set her empty cup of tea down and decided that now was better than never to introduce herself to the half-hearted mind games Zhao and Zuko had been playing. She smiled at the commander, letting her eyes widen slightly and her eyelashes flutter. "Commander Zhao, may I speak with you outside for a moment?"

It was apparently as easy as that. Airi had interpreted his weaknesses appropriately- it seemed fitting to her that such a vile man would crumble to such equally vile thoughts. As she followed him outside, she ignored whatever her must be thinking about. It was easier that way.

Zhao smirked. "What is it you wish to speak to me about, handmaiden?"

"As I'm sure you know, the princess sent me with Zuko to keep an eye on his loyalty," Airi began, smiling a perfect smile at Zhao, her mind racing a thousand miles a minute behind her innocent expression. "And I am sure you can see that he has not performed to the standards of the Fire Nation."

"Naturally," Zhao commented, his eyes drifting far from her face. 

"And I was wondering if you might deliver an important message to Princess Azula for me," Airi batted her eyelashes again and swallowed slightly before pressing her arms into her chest to emphasize her curves. She felt sick as she did it.

But you'll see Azula again.

And that thought was like a junkie had been promised a hit of a drug, a sick person promised a cure. It was a racer reaching the finish line, it was pure adrenaline in her veins, and Zhao didn't matter so much to her anymore. Because Airi knew what she wanted and why she wanted it. And she wouldn't stop until she got it. 

"Anything for such a lovely lady such as yourself," Zhao grinned, standing up straighter. 

"Tell her Prince Zuko has failed- the Avatar has him outmatched, there's no chance that he will succeed unless by sheer dumb luck," Airi instructed, her tongue letting her version of the truth slip out like velvet and honey. "And suggest that someone... more powerful might be better suited to the job."

The effect on Zhao was immediate. He clearly thought that Airi was suggesting that he be recommended to the position and even Zhao knew what Airi's real influence was. She might have been a handmaiden by title, but she was the princess' best friend and most trusted second opinion. And Azula always knew how to get what she wanted from the Fire Lord. 

However, Azula understood Airi better than anyone else, and Airi was sure that Azula would know what it really meant. 

It meant that it was time for Airi to go home. 

.·:*¨ ¨*:·.

❉ ╤╤╤╤ ✿ ╤╤╤╤ ❉written: 9/6/21edited:-word count: 1134

❉ ╤╤╤╤ ✿ ╤╤╤╤ ❉
written: 9/6/21
edited:-
word count: 1134

an: hello everyone! i just started & had to move for school so updates might be a little bit spotty for the next few weeks but i'm hoping i can still be as regular as possible because i just re-re-re-watched the first season and the azula reveal at the end has me so hype.
❉ ╤╤╤╤ ✿ ╤╤╤╤ ❉