55 | The End...?

✿∅✿∅✿

Cydney opened her eyes to a pair of piercing, vivid emeralds. She blinked a couple more times, before realizing what they were. Then, a smile tugged on her lips.

"Lyn. You're awake."

"Good morning, Cinnamon." Lyn turned on her back while extending her arm.

As if by instinct, Cydney shuffled over and laid her head into the little pocket of space next to Lyn's neck. Red, fluffy strands of hair tickled her face as she took a deep breath; the faint lavender shampoo was as intoxicating as their shower together last night.

"Shall I make you breakfast?"

"Mm," Cydney mumbled as she threw her hand around Lyn's waist, pressing their bare bodies closer together.

Lyn chuckled. "I'm taking that as a no?"

"Not yet," Cydney corrected. She craned her neck and returned Lyn's unwavering gaze. "So, why were you just staring at me like that?"

"Why can't I?"

"Creep."

That deflated Lyn's energy. "Wow." She slumped back on her pillow and closed her eyes. "Fine, I won't look at you anymore."

Cydney giggled as she propped herself up with an elbow, planting her head right above Lyn's. "Are you sure you can keep that up?"

As predictable as ever, Lyn's eyes fluttered open. "Of course not... Stop teasing me, Cinna," she murmured, a small pout forming on her face. "I just... I just can't believe you're really here. I've been waking up every day, wishing you were here, next to me. I'd spend the next minute looking for you, before remembering that... you were gone." Lifting her hands, she cupped Cydney's cheeks in her palms. "But you're here now. Next to me."

Knives rained down on Cydney's heart. She could finally see the melancholy behind those green eyes, the heartbreak, the regret, the slight disbelief. The months of silent pining, the excruciating pain of waiting. She leaned forward and gave Lyn a peck on her lips. "I'm sorry, Lyn. I won't leave like that ever again."

Lyn shook her head. "You did what you had to. I was the one who wasn't strong enough. I was the one who couldn't keep you safe." Her lips pursed for a while, before she continued, "But I will now, I promise you."

Cydney smiled encouragingly. "I feel very safe with you right now."

"And I want to make you feel this way with me forever," Lyn insisted, her brows furrowing and her grip tightening. "I'll do everything I can to win your trust and to keep your trust in me. I promise to protect you from now on."

The sheer earnestness in Lyn's voice, coupled with the ridiculous position Cydney was forced to be in, made Cydney burst into laughter.

Lyn deepened her frown. "Why are you laughing? I'm being serious."

"Sorry, Lyn, it's just..." Cydney grinned as she pointed at the redhead cheekily. "Your eyes are so swollen from crying last night, you look like a pufferfish."

"Hey, you cried like a baby last night too." Lyn huffed. Then, a smirk replaced her scowl. "And you screamed like one too."

"I do not scream like a baby."

"Yeah, you do." Lyn's voice turned into almost a low growl as she wiggled her eyebrows. "Want me to show you again?"

She flipped Cydney over, pushing her down on her pillow.

"Lyn!"

They jostled on the bed as Lyn tried to climb on top of Cydney. The ankle bracelet must have hit Lyn's shin in the middle of the scuffle because the woman ended up jolting away from Cydney, as though she had been struck by lightning.