Chapter 26

Valerie awoke the next morning, and, having had her breakfast, she slipped on her robes; black, as usual, then headed for the library, off in search of something new to read.

She figured she'd just go to the library while everyone else was at breakfast; she didn't want to deal with any of those pesky Ravenclaws, or any of those stupid students who'd point at her and whisper things behind her back.

Sauntering past the corridors with pride, she found her way to the library, and she entered, nodding briefly to madam Pince, a skinny, old woman, with a pair of pince-nez glasses hanging off her nose.

She headed straight for the section of dark magic; naturally, her being the daughter of the Dark Lord, she was drawn to the dark books like a magnet.

Her fingers skimmed past the titles, she could almost feel the dark magic seep through the books and into her blood stream. She walked slowly, poised like a goddess, with grace that could rival a swan's.

Dark Omens, she read off a title, and she gently pulled the book off the shelf.

Taking it to a chair near the window, she put it on the table, opened it, and began to read.

***

Valerie found herself strolling casually to potions class; for no particular reason in mind, save for the desire to annoy the hell out of Professor Snape.

"You're late," was the first thing Professor Snape told her.

Valerie just smirked. "Well, dear Professor, haven't you caught on that I did it intentionally?" she questioned. "Or is it too subtle to see?"

Professor Snape clicked his tongue annoyingly.

"Have a seat."

She ignored him, sauntering over to the front of the class. "Now, now, Professor," she mocked. "That's no way to speak to your Queen."

Professor Snape rolled his eyes. "Take a seat, your Majesty," he sighed. "There. Is that better?"

"Much," Valerie muttered in fake delight, conjuring a throne out of thin air and seating herself upon it, much to Professor Snape's annoyance.

The bell announced the class as over, and before Valerie left, Professor Snape called her to stay back. Valerie knew at once that it was something regarding her other life.

The life of The Regina.

"I'm listening," Valerie murmured.

Professor Snape cast an Impertubable charm around the room, then muttered a spell. "Muffliato."

"Is that a spell of your own making?" Valerie questioned, never having heard it before.

Snape nodded briefly. "It's one of them..." He sat down. "But that's not what we're here for. Last night I was summoned by your father..."

Valerie leaned closer. "And..." she pressed.

"He asked me to keep an eye on you. He said you might let the pride get into your head. And your Queenship..."

"...Is none of his business," Valerie cut him off sharply. "I may be his daughter, but the kingdom in mine to control, not his. So tell him to keep his nose out of my business..." she snarled, then trailed off.