𝟯𝟰. 𝗿𝗲𝘁𝘂𝗿𝗻𝘀

1 MONTH LATER
𝙈𝘼𝙔 𝘽𝙀𝙂𝙄𝙉𝙎 ;
saturday

♡̩͙

"oh, ryuu, noya, look...!"

tanaka rushes over to the girl as soon as he hears her familiar voice from over one of the aisles. noya, however, did not appear. "do you think saeko would like this...?"

tanaka's eyes light up, grabbing a black jacket from her offering hands and appraising it with sparkling eyes. "holy crap! 'like it...?' this is the exact one she saw on tv and rambled about for days!! how much how much how much-"

$49.99

"forty nine nin-" tanaka can't even finish his examination before his jaw drops and he shakes his head aggressively at y/n, who had parted lips and surprised eyes; she, too, didn't expect for the piece of clothing to be that expensive. it looked 20 bucks under what the price tag read.

"i'm too broke for this! and you already bought the cupcakes for her..." the bald- well, not necessarily bald... buzzcut, yes, the buzzcut boy reasons aloud with his hand under his chin, before a proverbial lightbulb clicks above his head. "ooh! i know-" he says before y/n proceeds to watch him cup his hands over his mouth and shout,

"noyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!"

a few moments pass. but nothing. noya still doesn't show up. he huffs and puts his hands on his hips before shouting even louder throughout the retail store. y/n winces slightly as she peeks cautiously around the empty aisles; she didn't want anyone to get upset over their lack of public decency, the horrible cacophony that was ryuunosuke tanaka.

"hhhhh," he inhales dramatically, "noooooooyaaaaaaaaaaa!"

this time, nishinoya hears. and nishinoya, who had actually been a tad bit lost, and wondering aimlessly somewhere on the other side of the building, comes running and quickly ends up before his two friends. "heya!" he greets with a grin, probably not even out of breath.

"hey, noya, you haven't found nee-san a gift yet, right?"

"ugh," he suddenly groans, fingers carding through his spiked locks of dark hair, "and i looked all over the place and even-" the short boy begins twisting his body and making hand motions, tanaka rests a hand on his shoulder before he can get too off track. "yeah, exactly! so here, take this and pay for it, saeko will love it!!!"

tanaka shoves the jacket into noya's arms. the teen looks it over for a few moments. there's a couple beats of silence as he registers what he's looking at. y/n smiles to herself, ryuu, with his hands proudly on his hips, grins widely, awaiting his friend to-

"WAIT- IS THIS THE ONE FROM TV⁉️"

♡̩͙

saeko's birthday party was over.
y/n walks home from a very fun outing, flanked by oikawa and iwaizumi, who accompany her on the way back to her apartment. yes, the party was fun, but on the same token... y/n, like most of the other attendees, was utterly exhausted. so much commotion, noise, blaring music, and movement had really taken a toll on the girl. she yawns into her hand, the street lights cascading onto the three friends as they patter along the sidewalk.

"wow, y/n-chan, you're really sleepy, huh?" oikawa smiles that familiar, prettyboy smile. iwaizumi walks on the right side of her, hands shoved in his hoodie pockets. "it was a tiring day." the spiky-haired one states. "yup! and we weren't even invited~" the brunette comments before breaking out into a soft hum. she giggles quietly. "i can't believe they didn't kick you two out."

"well, if they kicked us out, they woulda had to kick out half the others, too." oikawa says.

and he was right, most of the rambunctious boys who attended the birthday bash, weren't even supposed to be there in the first place. some said (with a stutter and a red face when y/n asked) they came merely for the food and deserts, while others said they were bored or had nothing to do for the night, while some made no excuse at all, saying they made an appearance simply because y/n did.

...oikawa was one of them.

"tru tru." y/n nods in agreement. they turn a corner, walking past a few alleyways and brick walls of small shops and buildings in the cozy town.

"we're almost there." she says. iwa nods, oikawa, very nonchalantly, wraps an arm around her shoulder. "say, y/n-chan, school will be out soon, me and iwa are third years, ya know. we probably won't be able to hang out very often..." he sighs out theatrically. she practically jumps with unease.

"b-but we can still hang out, right...?"

the casanova smiles with closed, mocha eyes, as if taking immense joy in seeing her face suddenly break out into one of worry. he liked seeing her get flustered and concerned over him. it made him feel good. it felt different when he had her instead of those nosy fan girls getting so worked up about him. it felt nice. oikawa's heart felt full and light.

iwaizumi scoffs, immediately catching onto oikawa's bluffs and subtle teases. he could tell his flirtatious friend was fishing for attention and warmth, yet again. this was annoying to iwaizumi. despite all of y/n's kindnesses and gifts and acts of care, it was never enough for oikawa. he always wanted more.
he couldn't leave her be.

iwaizumi extends an arm behind the girl (so she couldn't see) and harshly flicks tooru in the back of his head. he makes a weird, horrible face that looked very ugly to hajime, and then he juts out his bottom lip and pouts silently, truly hoping y/n would notice his facade of pain and comfort him.

"don't mind shittykawa, he's just messin' around. who cares that we're finishing school? we'll still be in the area," he begins consoling the girl, "and we'll still be ourselves. i know i'm not changing, and i doubt casa-kawa over there ever will, either."

a wobbly smile touches her lips. she seems to walk a little closer to iwaizumi as she admires his side-profile. from the corner of his eye, he sees her fond look, and his heart skips a beat, but he keeps walking ahead as if a deep blush wasn't beginning to bloom on his face. oikawa, for the sake of his own dignity, pretends y/n wasn't fawning over his friend, either. "you're right, hajime! it'll be okay."

"nothing will change." iwa reaffirms with a faint smile, inching closer to y/n as his olive eyes flicker over her soft features. he loved her smile, she was a pretty girl, he wanted to tell her that. maybe he would, one day.

"nothing." oikawa alludes so quietly, perhaps holding a twinge of wistfulness as he stares straight ahead, walking past the scattered streetlights and wincing each time he strode beneath them.

♡̩͙

note short chap but i just wanted to get the ball rolling again since ive been gone for some time :,)
thank u for sticking w me for so long! ive been a bit occupied lately- just restarted my acnh island 🙂 anyways love u! 🥰💖