Chapter 4

The mansion was already awake when she woke up at 8. She winced when she saw the time. Hastily, she climbed off the bed and rushed out towards Angela’s room. She was supposed to wake up Angela at 7 and help her with her morning ablution. She inwardly cursed herself for being so careless. It was her first day and she was already failing. 

She was used to waking up at 6 and helping the gardener tending to the garden back in the orphanage. She wondered if the old man missed him.     

Ara shoved the door to Angela’s room open and met with absolute silence. Angela was nowhere in the room. She called her but no reply came, not that she had expected.

Perhaps, she was already awake. She was so going to get fired on her first day. Ara hurried towards the kitchen to check if Angela was there. And to her relief, Angela was indeed there, sitting behind the table and eating her breakfast. 

She was turning away from the kitchen when Jennifer spotted her.

“Ara,” Jenna called her, making her stop in her tracks. She turned to her and flashed her a nervous smile. She must really be thinking of her as reckless, she thought to herself.  

“ Where are you going? Have your breakfast,” she called from the kitchen. Angela peeked at her from under her eyelashes. When Ara met her eyes, she quickly turned her gaze back on her plate.  

“Can I take my shower first?” Ara tentatively asked Jenna. 

“Oh dear, you don’t need to ask me or take my permission for anything. I am not your boss. Do whatever you want,” she divulged in a kinder tone. She realized Ara was too naive and gullible to survive in this manipulative society. 

Ara smiled and turned to go back to her room. 

She came back to the kitchen after taking her bath. Angela had left for her classes but Jennifer was still in the kitchen and she wasn’t alone. 

Ara’s steps faltered when she heard some weird muffled noises. She walked in to find out what it was. The girl regretted immediately the moment her eyes beheld the sight. Jennifer was sitting on the kitchen counter, kissing some guy who was standing between her legs. Ara promptly averted her gaze. Her feet froze and her cheeks burned with deep embarrassment.

‘Ara?” Jennifer had already spotted her.  

“Sorry for interrupting. I am leaving, you continue,” she blabbered, turning to her heels. 

“No. Stay,” Jenna slid off the counter. The man turned around and that is when she got another surprise. Mr. Brown. She pecked his lips before the man strolled out of the kitchen, flashing a smile at Ara. 

“I..I am sorry. I shouldn’t have..” 

“That’s fine,” she waved her hand dismissively. 

" Sit, have breakfast," she said

She slid the tray over to her.

"I lost my husband two years ago in an accident. Thought would never find love again. I am done for. But Robert proved me wrong. He came as a fresh breath of life," a smile floating across her lips. Ara's own lips stretched into a smile.  

"We are soon going to make it official but till then he said, we would have to do with our sneaky romance and hushed kisses," she said.    

Ara’s cheeks were still blushing red. Her reaction amused and intrigued Jenna.

“Have you ever been kissed, Ara?” she popped the question. Ara looked up at her. Her cheeks had turned scarlet now. 

“Have you ever been kissed?” she asked again, enjoying her flustered state.