Chapter 8

“He wants you to leave….now,” Jenna revealed in a cheerless tone. 

Ara’s eyes widened in shock.

The news psyched her out. Panic wormed into her racing heart.   

“Now?” she asked. It was almost midnight. Where will she go at this hour of the night? Jenna shifted her gaze to the floor. This time, there was nothing they could do.  

“You can stay at a motel. Robert will drop you,” Jenna suggested

Ara was too overwhelmed to pay attention to her. She had messed up big time. Mr. Serrano gave her a second chance and she ruined it in the most horrible way. She can’t lose this job. 

Necessity enkindled courage in her. She decided to explain herself to him.   

“I..I’ll talk to him,” she blurted out

Jenna eyed her with uncertainty. 

“What?” 

“I’ll explain myself to him,” 

“He won’t see you,” Jenna shook her head negatively. Her eyes dimmed. 

“I know but still I want to give it a try. Who knows, Maybe..maybe he’l listen to me,” her eyes, earnest and her tone, ardent.

“He doesn’t listen to people below him,” Jenna scoffed bitterly

“But I can’t lose this job, Jenna. I have nowhere to go. No one will give me a job after this,” tears glistened her eyes.

“I am sure you’ll get a job. You are very talented,” Jenna consoled her

“No. It is easier said than done. You know, there are not many jobs in this small town, especially for someone like me who has no talent, no skills,”

Jenna’s reassuring words never came. She rubbed both her palms over her moistened eyes before she turned around to face Jenna.

“I have nothing to lose now. I’ve already lost my job. What worse can happen now? I’ll make my point, apologize and if he would still want me to leave, I will leave,” she looked into her eyes for approval

Jenna reluctantly nodded. She already knew nothing good was going to come out of it but she didn’t have it in her heart to deny her.

“Where is he?” she asked with a steady voice. 

“In his study,” there were still doubts lingering in Jenna’s eyes. Ara nodded while clasping her hands together, a sign of nervousness. 

“I’ll be back in a minute,” she told her before starting towards the door. Jenna with pitiful eyes, watched her heading towards the den of the beast. 

…………….

She knocked thrice but no response came.  She waited for a minute and knocked again, still no response. 

The absence of res[onse made her wonder if he was in the room. 

She heaved in a deep breath of courage before slightly pushing the door open. The door gave way smoothly to a posh room. Swallowing a lump down her throat, she ventured in with unsure steps.  

This room was bigger than Robert's study room and way more lavish. Her eyes skimmed over the architectural details of the room. There was a coffee machine situated in a corner. The strong scent of a familiar deodorant occasioned her to draw in a long breath only to crinkle her nose later. The smell of smoke, coffee, and the fragrance of deodorant was mixed together.