CHAPTER ONE

It happened a couple of month after my thirteenth birthday, the event that had my life going downhill, the murder of my mother. My dad had waited for me to get better, or at least hide it better, before he told me the secret behind our riches, the reason behind my mothers murder, admittedly it took around a year, but four months after my fourteenth he sat me down and explained it all.

Merely a month after that he had me undergoing intense training in hand to hand combat, weapon handling, all the psychological games played against the enemy, how to handle situations that normal people would never encounter. He basically had me gripping onto the ropes of gang life, and soon later I was handling with those ropes  as if they're child's play.   

To prove that I had earned the title of the 'Devils Angel' five months after my fifteenth birthday. The irony in the tittle will forever have me chuckling as I commit my murders and make it seem like suicide, I have never lost a fight since I've finished training and I'm the fastest racer on the  tracks.

Honestly my life has always been crazy, starting with my grandparents, my maternal grandfather being Italian, my maternal grandmother Lebanese -i.e. from Lebanon, the country-, my paternal grandfather American and paternal grandmother Mexican, thus my heritage being all over the place.

Being an only child has made me the first in line to lead our gang, we had been given the name of 'Devils' ever since my dad and his friends formed the family, thus my street name, yet some like to call me angel, those who don't call me Dom, and no one is allowed to call me by my first name, the ones who tried ended up being lessons for everyone else.

And now a few month before my nineteenth birthday, my luck strikes again as my father decided to sit me down for another talk this wonderful morning, I hope you sense my sarcasm.

"I'm not doing it dad" My casual tone hid how I'm actually boiling on the inside.

How can he tell his eighteen year old daughter she's getting married to someone she doesn't know or met before with such a composed and cool exterior? Sometimes I wonder if he really is my father.

"Mi amor you have to do it. If you say yes then no one will dare to lay a hand on you, you with be untouchable, the rest of the family will be protected as well!" Was my dads reply to my plain refusal.

His words did nothing but frustrate me, doubt flowering in me.

Am I being selfish? Thinking about myself and neglecting the others? Will me marrying someone I have never met before really be a good thing?

Thousands of thoughts swarm around my brain making me groan internally, the only way to clear my head and be able to think properly pops between all the bombarding thoughts making me rub my eyes before looking at my hopeful father.

"Tell you what dad, I have a race tonight that I should be getting to,  I'll think about it and tell you my decision when I'm back." I finally said knowing that the beat place for me to think is behind the wheel of a car going way over speed limits at illegal street racing.

"Okay mi amor just promise to think about it and not just say no" His eyes were soft and hopeful the same blondish brown locks that I inherited from him falling over his forehead, his usually stern and cold face sad and his strong features begging me to promise, his broad shoulders slumped in slight defeat, I know that my dad would never force me to go through with the deal, but his body language is begging me to do so.

"Dad, I said I'll think about it, you know that my word is a promise. Now adios."  My voice was stern yet begging him to drop the conversation for now, just wanting some peace of mind, and after he gave me one last defeated nod I stood up and walked out of his office, and all the way to the garage, taking my keys and heading towards my car.

I had already been dressed before my dad called for me, which was a good thing as I didn't have much time before I needed to be at the tracks.

Looking down one last time at my vintage black mom jeans, white T-shirt mostly covered by my gangs signature leather jacket, and black and white converse, I gave myself an approving nod before getting in my baby and speeding away.

Edited: 13.10.2020
Word count: 792