- ; [ 006 ]

aaaaaah yall got this book to 1.47k reads already 😩 thank you so much !

—————————

Ah, so the timing has become right. You grin, waiting for her to continue. Perhaps one of your developing hobbies would be insulting and degrading her. Wouldn't be too bad of a hobby unless she decides to do something right for once in her life.

"It's because..." she sobs, "It's because I'm not of high social standing or sophisticated, and that's why you're drawing a line."

You take those words as your cue to laugh aloud, a hand moving to cover your upper features for more dramatic effect.

"hah! My, you surely do enjoy insulting nobles lady Rashta. Do you really believe a gentlemanly Prince such as Prince Heinley would truly mistreat a lady because of a mere status? Believe it or not, but we are actually quite decent people!" standing from your chair, you ignore the glare of Navier. "And you, not standing of high social standing? You are the mistress of the oh-so praised Emperor! Basically higher than all nobles below the Empress! Are you perhaps..." you hum, staring and watching each crocodile tear that fell from her cheek. "...saying that you are indeed, as the rumors say, a slave?"

You smile at her knowingly before turning to grin at Sovieshu next, cheering in victory once you see the embarrassed look on Rashta.

"and I must add...no woman on earth is truly innocent and harmless, my dear Emperor. We all have our dirty and cruel little secrets to hide." Sovieshu glares at you, mouthing a warning, but you only ignore it and turn towards Heinley, who was visibly delighted.

You weren't truly sure if Rashta actually had her own secrets to hide, however, you had the feeling that she hides more than one could ever expect.

"I didn't want to get involved, but I should correct everyone's misunderstanding." this time, Navier rises from her seat. "Your Majesty, I know the individual Prince Heinley was sending letters to. It's not Rashta."

The silver head mistress visibly flinches, eyes widening in horror as Heinley smiles. "You shouldn't take Prince Heinley's side because you despise Rashta, Empress."

You scoff loudly at the words that left Sovieshu's mouth, becoming more and more annoyed with how the man would take Rashta's ride even when all facts are against her. You curse under your breath and glare at the floor with crossed arms.

"It seems the Emperor only believes whatever Lady Rashta says." ah, Prince Heinley had taken the words right out of your mouth. "How frustrating it must be for you, your Majesty."

You're about to add something, but the sound of a sword being pulled out of it's sheath stops you. It seems too many buttons have been pressed, for the Emperor is but a raging foolish man.

"That's enough."

The sword points towards Heinley's throat.

"Prince Heinley, I challenge you to a duel for tarnishing my woman's honor."

There is a pause in the air. You stare at the two men, occasionally glancing over to Navier whose expression is furrowed.

"Can I leave this room safely even if I kill you?
If so, I accept your challenge."

You sigh, deciding at even if you did dislike Sovieshu, it was a part of your duty to protect him. You are one of his followers afterall. You open your mouth to speak, but Navier beats you to it, walking towards Sovieshu's side to lower his sword. "Your Majesty, please calm yourself." she then turns towards Heinley and you, "and Prince Heinley, Lady ( y/n ), you are our guests. Please, would all of you stop?"

Each said person falls back down on their seats with different expressions, Heinley's being one of aloofness, Sovieshu's one of irritation and yours of.. Well not much. You just put on a neutral expression to hide the fact that you and the eastern Prince might have conspired together.

"We'll end dinner here. Thank you, everyone, for coming today." and with that, the Empress walks out of the dining room and stops by the entrance to bid the guests goodbye and apologize.

You wait for everyone else to leave and only stand when the grand duke does, following after him when he walks to the entranceway. "Grand duke Kaufman!" you call out to him, making him stop in has tracks. He turns to you and sighs before holding out an arm for you to take.

You smile and happily hook your arm around his, discreetly feeling up his biceps. Nothing wrong with a little muscle check, right?

Once you both reach the entrance way where Navier and Rashta stood, the silverette visibly copies Navier's pose, "Grand Duke Kaufman, will you be coming to tomorrow's special banquet?" she asks with a tone of attempted elegancy.

You clench your jaw to prevent curses from spilling out of your mouth and only stare at the mistress with a blank look. She doesn't seem to pay attention to you, but it's obvious from the way she nervously plays with her fingers that your stare alone puts her off. You smile.

The grand duke beside you doesn't respond to Rashta and only swivels away, also seemingly irritated with the silver haired girl.

You chuckle and walk with him down the hallway, "You don't seem to like her." you start, turning your head to look at him.

"And neither do you." he answers, side eyeing you.

You nod, "she's a woman full of audacity, if i'm being completely honest." you sigh and shake your head before turning to focus of the pathway again. "Anyway, I don't want to talk about that wench. This is your first time meeting Navier, right?"

"I believe so, yes."

"She's a pretty lady, isn't she? She may seem strict and scary at first, but I swear, she can be the most childish sometimes."

"hm, Everybody has that side of them, don't they?"

"Really now? Then that must include you right, Kaufman?" you ask him teasingly and grin even wider when he doesn't respond. "So, you do! How come I've never seen it?"

Again, he ignores you. You frown and continue asking him repeated questions to irritate him.

-------------------------------------------------------

It's the last day of the new year's celebration, and unfortunately, the last day of your stay.

You, including a limited number of other high society members gather in the red rose room where the banquet is held. Cheerful chatters and laughter fill the room as you enjoy the pleasant atmosphere and cherish it, knowing it would be the last time in a while that you'll be in a room full of high spirits.

"Lady ( y/n )."

You turn towards the voice to see none other than the grand duke Kaufman, clad in fabrics of black and gold. "Kaufman, pleasant evening." you greet him with a smile.

"You seem to be planning something. I'm hoping it is nothing too drastic." he comments, sipping on a glass of champagne.

You laugh and shake your head, "My, you can tell so easily. But of course I'm not planning anything too drastic. In fact, my plan won't affect anyone in this room."

"Then, I'm guessing it will have something to do with the other Banquet...specifically that mistress?" he guesses, raising an eyebrow.

"Bingo! You know me all too well Kaufman."

The man shakes his head, feigning disappointment. "Don't cause too much trouble. I don't think the Emperor would
appreciate it."

"Oh? Is this you telling me to go ahead and do it? I didn't know you were so malicious Grand duke." you tease, "Well, I'd like to bid you a last farewell. This will be my last night in the Empire before I head back to the borders with Koshar."

"I see. Lord Koshar is...The Empress' brother, yes?"

You nod, "Yes. I must go, I might miss the fun in the grand banquet hall." you turn and wave him goodbye, watching as he waves his glass to you as well.