Feathers and Trolls

(Y/N)'s POV

I woke up the next morning, got dressed, and collected my books for charms. I was very excited about charms class, I was told by my dad that Professor Flitwick was a champion dueler in his younger days! As I walked from my dorm down to the common room, I found Hermione studying for Charms. "Morning Hermione!" I greeted her with a smile, she smiled back. "Morning (Y/N)! Want to head down to the Great Hall together and have breakfast?" she said while also shifting her gaze to her nails, averting from (Y/N) face. "Sure!" I replied, 'I'd love to!". Hermione turned her head back to me, smiling with glee. 

________________________________________________________________________________

Hermione and I were the first to class, and again we were allowed to choose our seats within the class. Eventually, others turned up, even Harry and Ron were on time! "Now now class, settle down and we will begin our class." Professor Flitwick said, and the class settled down, our attention was now on him.  He smiled and with a flick of his wand feathers appeared on our desks, the class murmured with excitement. "One of a Wizard's most rudimentary skills is levitation or the ability to make objects fly." Professor Flitwick stated as the class began writing furiously with their quills. "Uh, do you all have your feathers?" he asked as the class then picked up the feathers and showed them. "Good. Now, uh, don't forget the nice wrist movement we've been practicing, hmm? The swish and flick. And enunciate. Wingardium Leviosa. Off you go then." He stated. I was paired with Harry as Hermione was paired with Ron, he didn't look too happy but I don't see why he wouldn't be. As I helped Harry with his charm, I could over-hear Ron and Hermione debating. "Wingardrium LeviosaR" Ron said, mispronouncing it as he wacked his feather with his wand, Harry snickered. "Stop, stop, stop." Hermione protested with her bossy tone, "You're going to take someone's eye out. Besides, you're saying it wrong. It's LeviosAAA, not LeviosaRRR." Ron didn't look too happy at all. I frowned, she was trying to help. "You do it then if you're so clever. Go on, go on." Ron retorted, I smirked, I knew she could do it. She stood tall, cleared her throat, she aimed her wand at the feather. "Wingardium Leviosa!" She exclaimed as she swished and flicked her wand as the feather slowly began levitating bit by bit. "Oh, well done! See here, everyone! Ms. Granger's done it! Oh, splendid, 10 points to Gryffindor!" Professor Flitwick said with a cheery smile on his face. My attention was then drawn to the left of me as I heard a sudden boom, I then saw a cross Seamus who perhaps tried a little too hard, I sniggered. "Well Professor, I think Seamus may need a new feather..." I remarked as small laughter filled the class. Even Seamus dropped his frown and relaxed a little. 

________________________________________________________________________________

Eventually charms class ended as we made our way to the great hall for lunch, Hermione stayed a bit to ask Professor Flitwick some questions as I joined Harry and Ron. However, it seemed that Ron was still upset with Hermione, "It's Leviosa, not Leviosar. Honestly, she's a nightmare. No wonder she hasn't got any friends!" he exclaimed while mocking her, red in the face. As he said that I felt someone push me as they made their way through the crowd. I recognized the bushy hair, it was Hermione, it sounded like she crying, I gritted my teeth in annoyance. "You know Ron, she was just trying to help you git, maybe if you weren't so ignorant you would notice..." I said with a hint of anger as I pushed away from the two boys and went to look for Hermione. 

________________________________________________________________________________

It was now late in the afternoon. I was still looking for Hermione, to be honest, the moving stairs didn't help, I got lost for a while before I found the main corridor. I looked out to the courtyard, the sun had already set, it was getting dark. As I continued to walk around, looking for Hermione, my stomach grumbled. I was hungry, I had a quick lunch to start my search. Then I remembered that tonight was the Halloween dinner at the great hall. But I decided to persist, because friends look after together, no matter what. Eventually, I found another girl's bathroom and waited outside for someone to exit and ask them if they had seen Hermione. I waited for a bit before a young girl exited. It was Lavender Brown, she was a Gryffindor in my year. "I Lavender" I said as I flashed her smile "sorry to bother you but is Hermione in there?" I asked while pointing to the bathroom, I felt my cheeks flush red with embarrassment. Lavender nodded, "She's been in there all afternoon crying you know." she said "It's very sweet of you to look for her, what a charming young man you are." she replied. Once again, my cheeks flushed red with embarrassment as I scratched the back of my head with nervousness. "Ahh, t-thanks." I said. As a quickly stepped to the side of her entering the bathroom. I could hear some light sniffling. "Hermione?" I asked, the sniffling stopped. "(Y-Y/N)? What are you doing here? This is the girl's bathroom!" she said, almost annoyed. "Hermione, I'm your friend and I'm not going to let some sign stop from checking up on my best friend." I said with confidence. "You heard Ron (Y/N), I have no friends, I'll always be alone..." she said as I could hear her sniffling again. "Hermione, I want you to listen to me. Ron is wrong because you do have at least one friend, one friend who will always be there for you, no matter what. I promise." I said. The sniffling stopped. "You p-promise, always?". She asked with a hint of fear in her voice. I could hear the lavatory door unlock. The door slowly opened to reveal a very upset Hermione with red cheeks and puffy eyes from her crying. "Hermione, I'm afraid that in the future you may cry again but I promise you, the next time you will have a shoulder to cry on." I said as I looked into her chocolate eyes. Suddenly Hermione got up ran to me and hugged me hard. I hugged back "Thank you (Y/N), thank you so much" Hermione whispered in my ear. I hugged her harder as I felt her body slowly relax and saw a small smile form on her face.