Chapter 39

As days went by both Max and Dan stopped burning holes in the back of my head. As they noticed that I'm eating willingly I think their fears lessened a bit. I could still notice that they're worried when I refuse to finish my meal but Julien was very understanding, he never forced me to eat and I was grateful for that.

With each day my anxiety grew stronger because with each hour Andrew's arrival was closer.

It was a Friday evening, I was eating pizza with Julien and the boys when he showed up. He wasn't alone. Right behind him there he was - Charles.

"Oh, and who's that, isn't this my baby sister?"

"I'm not a baby," I said but my voice sounded muffled because Charles was already hugging me tightly.

"Charlie, don't suffocate her" Julien scolded.

"Besides we're here too aren't you going to say hi after you ghosted us for months, asshole?" Max said.

"Yeah, where are our hugs?" Dan added humorously.

"You want one? Let me give you one" Charles said as he released me from his embrace. Meanwhile, the boys scattered as Charles tried to chase them down, apparently, they didn't really want a hug.

Charles was quicker than both Dan and Max and how the fuck is that possible? They were both professional athletes? It was actually disturbing how quickly he grabbed Max but his embrace was more like a choking match.

I started laughing seeing this hilarious scene but my mood shifted when Andrew addressed me directly.

"Ellie, do you prefer to talk here or in my office?"

"H-here," I said. I figured that in his office I would be alone and I preferred everyone to be present it just felt less... empty.

"Let's sit" Andrew ordered undisturbed by his sons' behavior he was fully focused on me. Shit.

Suddenly pleasant atmosphere evaporated.

Max took his favorite place on the sofa, Dan sat next to him. Charles sat at the table with Julien who just finished analyzing some documents from the hospital. 

"Ellie, what I would like to know is why were you starving yourself? How did it happen that you decided to take pills without informing me about it? Are you a toddler? Should I hire someone who will watch you 24/7?"

Okay, now I want to throw up.

"Getting straight to the point I see," I said awkwardly while looking at the floor. The patterns on the carpet were suddenly very interesting.

"Dad, you're not in an interrogation room for fuck sake"

Everyone looked with speechless surprise at who said those words. Dan. This is when I knew I've made a good decision of not going with Andrew to his office.

"What?" He responded sharply. "You think everyone can handle it when you speak like that? What's the point of this question? We're all worried but can you at least be a little nicer to her? Maybe she wouldn't do things without your knowledge if you stop barking at her!"

"Dan you're forgetting yourself"

"Whatever!" Dan threw his hands in defeat gesture and left the room. We could hear how he purposefully shuts the door of his room loudly.

This is when I started tearing down.

"Hey, don't cry kiddo," Charles asked gently and wrapped me into a hug.

"They're arguing because of me"

Andrew sighted. "We're not arguing. Dan said what's on his mind and he was right. I'm sorry Ellie if I'm too harsh with you"

"If" Julien snorted. Andrew sent a deadly glare at his younger brother for a moment and then refocused on me. 

It took me a moment to realize that Andrew just apologized to me. My innocent confusion prompted him to continue.

"I'm used to dealing with stubborn, hotheaded brats-"

"Yeah, twins are difficult" Charles agreed easily.

"-Most difficult of them all was Charles"

"Slander!" My oldest brother gasped and made a mock-hurt expression. I couldn't help but giggle at his attics. The atmosphere changed in a split second from a serious one to something warmer and more pleasant.

This is when I decided to stop hiding in Charles's embrace and face Andrew again.

"I need to find a better way of communicating with you Ellie, I'm sorry it takes time," he said with gentle fondness and now I wanted to tear down for a completely different reason. So Andrew could act nicely if he wanted.

"Come here" he ordered and when I did he hugged me. I froze. It was not a bad hug at all. It was actually gentle and it felt warm. Somewhat I was shocked that Andrew was capable of such a display of affection, I will never get used to him making attempts at being kind and gentle.

"How are you feeling?" He asked after he let me go.

"Good, very good actually"

This was true. Julien's company at the house was a blessing. Boys were nicer to me than they usually would be and it was a little annoying but also heartwarming, and I had a lot of time to think and process the craziness of the last weeks.

"I'm concerned that you would go as far as to buy medication without my knowledge I just need to know you will never ever do something like that again. Can you promise me?" Andrew's voice did not grow colder as it usually would when he scolded me but it was warmer.

I nodded. "I promise. I will never do it again"

"And you won't try to lose weight again?"

"I- but what if I need to? Wait. Okay, okay" I raised my hands in defeat as soon as I saw his expression going colder.

Julien snorted and Andrew raised his eyebrows "We will have to work on that one"

He wiped my tears stained cheek.

"I... okay. So what happens now? Will, you break the contract with the agency"

"No"

What? This surprised me.

"What? I thought..."

"Don't get me wrong I still don't like this career choice but I believe it's in your best interest to let you make your own decisions I want you to come back to auditioning when you feel mentally ready and quit if it's something that has a bad impact on your mental health. I want you to make responsible decisions for yourself, okay?"

I hugged him and said "Thank you dad"

He hugged me back and we were in each other embrace for a long time.

Wait, did I just called him dad?

"Are you done arguing?" Max asked bored as he dragged Dan by the shirt back to the living room.

"We weren't arguing"

"Okay, fine. Talking loudly. In a higher octave? Allegedly?"

Andrew shook his head at his son's behavior. "What are you watching?"

Another surprise. Normal Andrew would just go take care of things this version just sat on the couch next to twins and focused on the TV screen in front of him.

I think no one expected this development. Anyway, no matter what boys and dad were planning I had a simple goal in my: go back to my room. I needed to recharge after the encounter with Andrew who didn't even ground me. No punishment. No nothing. I was about to think about my luck when I could feel Charles's strong arm wrapping around my neck.

"Not so fast little sis. Dad might be done with you for now. I'm not" he said in a sweet and deadly voice.

Crap.

🌹🌹🌹
Author's note
Charles is back! ❤️❤️ 
I love, love, love to read your comments guys they make my heart flutter 🥰. Thank you for reading this story ❤️.