Chapter 118

"That... was not what I was expecting" Noah gulped as he took a step back.

Even when faced with a group of armed goblins he didn't feel this way. Yet just facing this strange woman was enough for the hair on his fur to stand still as if a warning for the danger up front.

Noah could feel by instinct that the woman holding Eugene captive was not ordinary by any means.

Seeing how the rest of his colleagues were frozen in place he could surmise that their conclusions were no different from his.

Meanwhile, Angelica got into a defensive stance bearing her sword at the Nero mercenaries. The hallucinogens from the pollen were clouding her mind with extreme visions.

Monsters the size of human beings were surrounding her and Chirpy in a cloud of darkness. And the only things she could see were sharp fangs and fiery eyes in the pale light.

"No. Not this time I won't" She tightened the grip on her sword.

As far as Angelica was concerned she was being attacked by a pack of wild animals.

"I won't let you take my baby!" She exclaimed, narrowing her unsteady eyes at the barely visible animals.

'Baby?'

The Nero mercenaries looked at each other confused. Simultaneously they turned towards the person in question for answers.

But Eugene meekly shook his head in response with a defeated expression.

He was as clueless as they were since the situation in itself was ridiculous to begin with.

A mysterious beautiful woman looking not much older than his own younger sister claimed that he was her 'baby' and was about to slash his friends right in front of him.

"Pfft!" Noah and Oliver started trembling, unable to hold their laughter.

"Stop laughing, you idiots! Can't you see Eugene's in a bit of an existential crisis.... pfft!" The corners of Jade's face began twitching as he too was enthralled.

Raeden was the only one who was thinking of a way to defuse the situation, understanding the seriousness of the... No. Eugene realized belatedly, he too had gone into the dark side.

Raeden turned his face away as his shoulders started trembling. But he soon changed back to his usual serious self.

"Real mature guys" Eugene smirked mockingly.

In the midst of the laughter fest, the Nero mercenaries forgot about the problem at hand.

"I'm gonna tear you apart" Angelica declared as she took a step towards them.

"Hey Mama's boy you better do something" Oliver managed to say a few words between laughs.

The four of them stood at a safe distance from the two in an attempt to not escalate the confusion into a fight.

As he was debating for a way to calm Angelica down, Raeden noticed something interesting on the color of her shirt.

"Look" Raeden pointed towards her.

"Is that?" Jade realized as soon as he saw what Raeden was hinting at. He whispered something into Oliver's ears in an inaudible voice.

"Got it"

And with a thumbs up Oliver disappeared into the trees behind him.

At the same time, Eugene was trying his best to convince the strange woman to not attack his friends.

"Hey! Hey!" He jumped in front of Angelica and put his hands on her shoulders.

"Umm... They are not our enemies. They're my friends"