────── twenty-six

ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ

═══ A CHANGE IN WIND ═══

ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ

WITH A COUPLE HOURS TO SPARE, Akiko had decided to be spontaneous and went to visit Chifuyu. On her way over to his apartment complex her phone rang with a call from Seina.

"I'm sorry for leaving right after the funeral. But the best way for me to deal with grief is to jump straight into work and trust me, I have a lot of it."

Akiko nodded to herself, glad that Seina couldn't see the gloomy expression on her face. "It's alright. As long as you're going to be okay. Just know you can call whenever you need someone to talk. We have many years to make up for, after all."

"That we do. Well, I have to go. My pager is going crazy. I'll call you back some time this week."

Though the conversation was short, Akiko felt her heart mending a little. To know that she was finally making amends with her family was a great relief. No pressure, no insanely high expectations, no threats. Their bond was finally healing.

Chaos had set them free. Pressure had made them resilient. Hope, determination and a strong will had made them warriors who fought until the bitter end.

And even though Akiko was still at the beginning of her life, she chose to believe in Itachi's words that there was a bright future ahead of her.

Because after a storm, there was sunshine and a rainbow.

Her heart was still pounding with nerves and excitement when Akiko knocked on the front door of the Matsuno apartment. Chewing on her lip, she anticipated whomever would open the door. She had yet to face Mrs. Matsuno after the incident with Kurayami and Ken, and she wasn't sure what to expect. Pessimism and anxiety usually made her expect the worst.

Which was why she was pleasantly surprised to be embraced tightly when Mrs. Matsuno opened the door. The woman wasted no time in throwing her arms around Akiko's petite frame and pulling her against her chest.

"My dear, I'm so happy to see you," exclaimed Mrs. Matsuno. "Chifuyu told me what happened. My condolences. You poor thing, no one should have to go through that."

"Oh, uhm, it's fine. It's over now," Akiko responded awkwardly.

Chifuyu appeared behind his mother, grinning sheepishly. He had already slipped on a jacket and a pair of shoes, ready to head out. It seemed he had prepared to visit Akiko.

"Well, be sure to come over as often as you want," said Mrs. Matsuno pulling away, and she caressed Akiko's cheek, straightened her shirt and smiled warmly, just like a mother would.

"I will," promised Akiko and bowed quickly. "Thank you, obasan."

"Off you go," she shooed them outside and shut the door.

A giggle escaped Akiko's lips when she took notice of the rosy tint on Chifuyu's cheeks. Quickly, to cover up his embarrassment, he draped an arm over her shoulders and guided her down the stairs. For a moment, Akiko leaned her head against his shoulder with closed eyes, enjoying his presence without the constant fear lurking in the back of her mind.