chapter ten

TW: stabbing, swords, graphic descriptions of crime scenes, gore, sexual references, mention and usage of guns, mild language, police presence.

the fisher king, part two of three.

" a game without rules is war " - john fowles.

-

Elle had gotten coffee for herself, Derek, and Genevieve as the team, minus Reid and Garcia set up around the roundtable.

Genevieve had taken Derek's jumper, as she hadn't had a chance to get her hands on any other clothes, and Virginia was far too cold for her tank top and cargo pants.

"We clearly have a psychopath intent on drawing us into his game,"

"Playing with us," Gideon agreed.

"So, let's return the favour," Elle said snidely, pacing around the room.

"He kept telling us we repeatedly to save her. What her?" Derek asked, shaking his head.

"Items he sent must be some sort of clues," Gideon replied.

"Let's get them up on the board," Hotch suggested. JJ nodded and grabbed a whiteboard marker.

"I got a Nellie Fox baseball card from 1963 and a head in a box," Gideon started.

"I got a rare butterfly in a shadow box," JJ said, beginning to make a list on the board in her neat, curly handwriting.

"And repeated messages to 'save her'," Hotch added.

"I got the decapitated body of Gideon's head, and a nice visit from the Jamaican police," Elle said poisonously. Genevieve pursed her lips. She would not want to be this Unsub when Elle got her hands on him.

"Reid called from Nevada. He's on his way back with a skeleton key, and a note he got too,"

"And the guy who called me said 'the youngest one holds the key',"

"That's got to be Spencer,"

"Unsubs don't normally contact us this way. They taunt us, dare us to catch them, but they don't drag us into their fantasy," Derek said, taking a large swig of his coffee.

"Why not?" JJ asked.

"Because their delusions are sexual. Taunting us is a power play, but involving us like this? I honestly have no idea. I've never even heard of it before," Genevieve told her, turning her palms up in an 'I don't know' gesture.

"There's something else about the baseball card," Gideon said, prompting the team to turn to look at him. "Nellie Fox was one of the stars of the 1959 White Sox. I went to almost every game with my father that year. Fox was my hero... so is it a coincidence that he sends this to me, or does he know that this is how I feel about him?"

"I collected butterflies when I was a little girl," JJ piped up, before anybody could speculate further. "That's how I knew what butterfly was in the box,"

"So he knows us?" Derek asked.

"Maybe not. I got an anonymous call. There isn't much personal about that," Hotch shook his head.

"I got a police raid," Elle added.

"He did know where to find all of us, though. I think Derek's right," Genevieve said slowly.

"He got that from the Bureau computers," Garcia said quietly, walking in. Her posture made it seem like she was trying to seem as small as possible. Something was wrong. Well, more wrong than it already was. "Your locations are always in there so they can find you if they need you. And I checked the log. The hacker was definitely in the personnel folders. There were room numbers to the hotel in Jamaica, the address of Gideon's cabin... there's a lot of information in those databases,"