Chapter 24: Tension

Nick's POV

The air around us all was thick as we watched Keeley storm up the stairs and down the hall, her heels thumping the ground with every step and not stopping till we heard the echoing sound of a slammed door.

Nobody spoke as we stared at the dim and empty staircase. It seemed like forever as we stood there, no one talking, and not even the sounds of our breaths could be heard.

I don't know why I said those things to her tonight. I don't. I just- seeing her there made me angry. She wasn't supposed to be there. She wasn't supposed to be drinking. I wasn't supposed to have to step in and stop her. I was supposed to have a night out with Julia, who, I have a feeling, made this harder for Keeley.

"Luca," I heard my father's voice speak into the silence. I turned around to face him in the entryway. "Go check on Keeley. The rest of you: in the living room." He turned to me and I'd never witnessed the anger in his eyes before. My father's neck was turning a dark shade of red as his hands fisted at his sides.

"Now," he seethed. Everyone immediately moved into the living room and gathered on the plush couches or stood off to the side.

I sat down on one of the sofas and the only other person to sit by me was Julia. I looked at all my brothers and the Morettis for the first time. They either stood across the room from me or by the windows, gazing out into the dark. The fire crackled and the TV was paused on whatever movie we had interrupted.

I could tell Julia felt awkward and out of place as she sat beside me, the only person to sit beside me in fact. Everyone else looked mad, and I couldn't understand why. They should be glad I stopped her from getting drunk or messing around with some guy.

My father did not speak as he paced back and forth across the wooden floors, and he kept his hands pushed far down into his pockets.

It was only a minute or two, when in reality it felt like a lifetime, till Luca showed up again. His pace was fast, and although I knew what Luca was capable of, I had never seen an inkling of anything vile in his body. But as of right now, a murderous look had washed upon his face as he stormed right towards me.

I didn't even register it as he pushed through the others and marched right in front of me, his hands shooting out and gripping the collar of my shirt. I was yanked from my spot on the couch and onto my feet, Luca's eyes boring into my own.

"Give me one good reason why I shouldn't gut you like a pig and leave you here to die on this floor."

The words cut the tension in the room as everyone was suddenly increasingly aware of the knife he had pulled and held against my neck. I had a feeling the look he was giving me was the one he masked behind his normal composure. Luca's eyes slanted down as the blue was drowned out by the black of his pupils. His expression was all seriousness and second by second the blade pressed further into my neck.

I could see how the others stood by silently, not giving any inclination as to if they were actually going to step in. My father watched the blade press deeper into my neck, the pressure building but not enough yet to break the skin.

"Luca, that's enough," I heard his father speak quietly, but nonetheless, still incredibly pissed.

Luca made no move to remove the blade from my neck. If anything, it only caused him to yank me closer and trail the tip of the blade up my neck and under my chin.

"Arturo," Stefano snapped as he used what my guess would be Luca's middle name. This seemed to work as a bitter chuckle vibrated from his chest. He shoved me back onto the couch and twirled the knife in his hands, the look of irritation never leaving his face.