Chapter 29

Am I really that obvious? I was trying to be mysterious and here you all are, guessing the plot before I can even write it...maybe I should throw in a plot twist...

        Jumping down from the last step, I accidentally tripped over my bad ankle and fell on my butt. Well, wasn't this a nice way to start of the morning? Luckily, there was no one around to witness my moment of embarrassment. Picking myself up, I straightened my clothes and fixed a pleasant expression on my face before continuing on. 

        A conversation coming from the kitchen made me pause before I took another step anywhere. Eavesdropping wasn't my thing, but then again, I've been doing a lot of things that weren't my 'thing.' For example, kissing one of the most wanted criminal kings in the world. In comparison, listening in on something that wasn't meant for me to hear wasn't that bad.

        Positioning myself against the wall, I could hear Cage and Micheal talking quietly in the kitchen.

        "-don't say a damn word, Micheal." Cage's voice carried out. Even though I wasn't even in the room with them, I could hear the underlying threat in his words. It sounded all too familiar. "Not to the others and especially not to her. Not yet, at least. She's got a temper worse than Cherry's. And you know what Cherry was capable of."

        Who's Cherry?

        And where they talking about me?

        "Fuck, I'm glad I got rid of that one. She was poison." Micheal chuckled humorlessly. "Three years and I'm still not over half the shit she pulled. And that was after the cheating. But I do think you need to tell her soon. I'm not sure how long this little submission act will last."

        Cage sighed, and then there came a sound like liquid being poured into a glass. "Submission? Try blackmail."

        "Really? To you?" Whatever they were talking about, Micheal seemed surprised. "That's a first."

        "Tell me about it. I'm a fucking mess." Cage said quietly. "Before I say anything, are you absolutely sure that it was no accident? There's no taking it back once it's out and I'd like to avoid the fit she'll throw if I can."

        There came a sound like a stove clicking a few times before the flame lit up. I couldn't see what they were doing because I was right outside the kitchen. Dipping my head, I strained to hear Micheal's reply. They were talking in such soft voices.

        "Unfortunately, yes."

        "That's a shame." Cage said. "I have no idea what to do with her, man."

        "Never would have believed that if I didn't just hear you say it." Micheal sounded amused.

        "That bad, huh?"

        "Worse."

        I waited to hear if they had anything else to say but the conversation seemed to be over after a couple moments of silence. Trying to put on the most normal facade as I could, I stepped away from the wall and strode inside like I did not just overhear their entire conversation about Cherry and me. At least I think they were talking about me. Maybe it was Delia they were referring to. I had a suspicion about Cage's words that I diligently tried to avoid thinking about. Dangerous territory, that was.

        Cage and Micheal both looked up at the same time as I entered the kitchen. Their faces were wiped clean of any emotions, as usual. They had a great poker face. I was an open book, it seemed, and the Crows were the complete opposite. Cage had a lowball glass with alcohol inside and Micheal was doing whatever he was doing, which was making coffee.