12.

Sometimes, the words that come out of Ivy Lee's mouth don't match what she's thinking in her head. It's the reason why she doesn't really say much.

Sam had known this from the months of being with Ivy. She wouldn't say anything even if she was upset, so it was hard to tell what she was really feeling. Though, with the months he had spent analysing every word that had come out of her mouth, he had learned enough to know when she was happy to speak and when she preferred to be silent.

He had also been trying to avoid telling her about his shapeshifting abilities, but in Sam's defense, the longer it took to tell her, the harder it got. It was almost a week of him putting it off, which surprised him as he liked to get things done quick. But if he knew one thing it was that nothing that had to do with Ivy ever made him feel like himself. He was always doing things that surprised even him.

"Someone's in a happy mood." He remarked, noticing the hum in Ivy's voice as she fixed her car. She looked up from the hood, a black, oily substance sticking to her face.

"Hmm? I just can't wait to get this modded is all. Thanks for letting me borrow this garage, by the way."

"Riiiight." Sam trailed off, "Now, what's the real reason?" He asked, putting the tools away for her.

Ivy rolled her eyes playfully and let out a dramatically loud sigh.

"I've got somewhere to go. The Cullens invited me over for dinner." She admitted. Sam's smile fell almost immediately at the sound of the vampire family.

Ivy could sense the disapproval, "What, now?" She groaned. She knew him all too well.

"You know how I feel about the Cullens." He frowned. Ivy sucked her teeth, "Yeah, but they're really nice. You make them out to be some kind of psycho killers cause of your family feuds. It's like the Capulets and the Montagues."

"The what and the what?"

Ivy rolled her eyes playfully, setting down a wrench.

"It's a Shakespeare thing."

Sam nodded once, understanding that he probably wouldn't get it if she explained further, anyways.

"You're too smart for me."

She only smiled.

"I was...hoping I could introduce you to my mom?" Sam asked, grinding his teeth. Ivy furrowed her brows at him, focusing on the car part she was fixing.

"...Okay...." She trailed off.

"Maybe as ... my girlfriend?" He added, extremely quickly. Ivy stopped screwing the screw on, and her eyes widened.

"Is that-"

"I mean-" They spoke at the same time and stopped at the same time.

"Is that...what we are?" He asked. "It's totally cool if...y'know, you don't want to be my girlfriend, yet."

Ivy cleaned up the black oil from her hands with a nearby cloth. She refused to look him in the eye, and seemed to rub her hands particularly hard. Her shoulders were raised as she sucked in a large breath. She straightened her shirt, "I should go, it's getting late."

She packed up her things, quickly and practically bolted out the door. She only stopped when Sam grabbed her arm gently.

"Hey. We're, uh, good, right?"

She seemed afraid at his sudden movements and almost recoiled, making Sam frown.

"Yeah, of course."

Ivy leaned in to kiss him on the lips generously as her palm rested on his cheek.