Chapter Seventy Five - Kinsley

Kinsley ~

Loud pops tore through the low hum of conversation in the ballroom in rapid succession. Small talk and light laughter turned into horrified screams as someone or possibly several people, started firing a weapon into the crowd.

Before I could react, Tyson and Dane grabbed me harshly and shoved me to the ground, causing my champagne glass to shatter from the force of impact. The sound of breaking glass and screaming guests filled the room and I instinctively covered my ears, trying to hide from the chaos.

I watched helplessly as both Dane and Tyson pulled weapons from beneath their jackets with nothing but hatred on their faces.

"Keep your head down." Tyson yelled at me as we ducked behind a row of tables.

I nodded with tears that I refuse to let fall gathering in my eyes, waiting for commands from Dane or Tyson.

"The fuck is it coming from?" Dane asked Tyson, Xander and Vincent loudly.

"South entrance by the foyer. Two guys. One looks like Angelo's step brother." Vincent said as he held Adriana close.

Tyson raised up slightly to get a better look with his weapon raised and ready to fire, but there were too many people in the way. Everyone was running or hiding, frantically searching for a safe haven from the bullets that were peppering the walls and tables around us.

My heart stopped as Tyson moved slowly over the edge of the table and returned fire, hitting the only gunman that I could see. The man slumped forward onto the ground and the gunfire stopped, leaving only the sound of screams, groans and shuffling of feet and chairs.

Just when we thought it was safe to move, a hail of bullets rained down on us from a second gunman who charged toward us while letting out an animalistic scream.

That has to be Angelo's brother. He looks like a crazed maniac and he's trying to kill as many people as possible.

Dane grabbed me and covered my body with his as soon as the second gunman started to fire in our direction. He was trying to cover as much of my body as he could, pulling me tight and positioning me where he needed me.

"Get real small, Kins." Dane said loudly over the gunfire as I pulled my legs and arms tight toward my torso. 

Tyson and Xander were returning fire, ducking behind the table occasionally for cover.

I shook and whimpered in Dane's arms as he squeezed me tight, praying that Tyson and Zander could get a clean shot and end all of this.

"He's wearing fucking body armor." Tyson screamed to no one in particular.

"Fuck." Dane yelled, so close to my ear it made me jump.

The gunman was focused solely on Tyson and Xander at the moment and moved toward us, unleashing round after round of ammunition in our direction.

"You gotta move her, Dane." Tyson said loudly.

Dane nodded and lifted his head, surveying a safe location to move me.

"We gotta go baby." Dane said, giving me a quick forceful kiss on the back of my head.

"I don't want to leave Tyson." I whimpered, letting my eyes flick over to where Tyson was crouched.

"Kins, you gotta go right fucking now...If you love me at all you'll go." Tyson said firmly, holding my gaze. He begged me with his eyes and it tore me to pieces.

Tears stung my eyes and my nose burned as I held back the sobs that threatened to take over my entire body, but I refused to cry. I needed to be alert, I needed to be smart. We had to get out of there.