Chapter Twenty-Nine

As kids, we were stupid. As teens, we're still stupid. Guess what? As adults, we'll probably be stupid, too. It's not like we can do anything about it.

When he, sorry, WE, confessed to each other on the last week of fifth grade, I had given him my first kiss.

On the cheek, mind you.

Then, fast forward to the very last day of fifth grade, he moves away to a faraway land and drops back into my life 7 years later.

And here we are.

"I'm guessing you're thinking about... Mission Bubblegum?" He asked, cracking a slight smile.

"Yeah," I said. We literally named that week Mission Bubblegum because we were obsessed with bubblegum as elementary kids.

"I'm just saying... we were kids. It was just... I feel like I shouldn't say 'joke,' because what we had wasn't a joke. But I can't say it was deep or anything." He explained.

"Of course," I said softly, "I agree. But I do speak for both of us that none of those feelings exist anymore and they're in a ditch in Africa."

"Yeah," he agreed, smiling, "But maybe a ditch in Antarctica."

"Are there even ditches in Antarctica?" I asked.

"Dunno," He said, "But I've got to go. Just figured you'd prefer if I dropped by before the weekend ends rather than I go to school and you have a heart attack about my handsome self's return to Earth."

"Nice to see your ego hasn't inflated yet," I snorted, "Not that I'm surprised or anything."

There's something especially special about me and finding guys with large egos.

"I'll-" He started.

"Okay, okay, I get it now, you're leaving. Goodbyes for us take ten years, and I'd like to do something memorable in those ten years." I shoved him out of the door, "Seeya."

That went well.

Kinda.
________________

I regret being friends with Aiden really, really much.

Like really, really much.

How much exactly? I have no idea, but it's been confirmed that it is not a small amount.

(Only) About all the girls had a crush on Aiden. The teachers? Yeah, um, don't want to talk about that.

Of all people, AIDEN. I'm disappointed in all my peers.

He, the oblivious idiot he was, had absolutely NO idea, and brainlessly WAVED at ME. ME. WHY ME?

Let's just say 'earn a hundred thousand more enemies' was not on my bucket list nor any of my lists in general.

"Who was that guy?" Lysander asked rather angrily when he sat down at my lunch table.

"What guy?" I asked, fully aware he was talking about Aiden, "And why are you mad?"

"I'm mad," He said, "because I have the right to be mad." Man, he was fuming (not to say annoying as well).

"Uh-huh," I agreed cautiously, thinking about how awesome it was to keep my head attached to my body. I'd enjoy it if I kept it that way. I wondered if Lysander knew how to decapitate people. Actually, I don't really want to know. He can keep that to himself.

"The guy with that clown-looking hair," He described, "And goofy face, prancing around like a donkey."

"Oh," I said, pretending to not know the whole time, "You mean Aiden?"