The Second Kira

"Light is going to be joining us soon then, I believe," Kiyo said with a smirk as she sat down next to L, taking a sip of her hot coffee.

"Mr. Yagami has already asked him to come over, so he should be arriving at any moment," L replied with a teasing and prideful smirk of his own, eliciting a laugh from Kiyo.

"You're enjoying this way too much, you know that right?"

"Am I?"

"You're a jackass, L, a cocky little jackass."

"..yes, yes I am."

-----------------------------------

"So you knew about this all along Ryuga- sorry, Ryuzaki? Which means this was just another one of your tests?"

"It wasn't my intention to test you. The truth is if I was the only one who thought there was a second Kira, it wouldn't be too convincing, but the fact that we both came to the same conclusion makes the theory that much more believable. As expected you did not disappoint us, you've been a great help.

It's decided then - first, we must focus on stropping this copycat. From what we've seen he sympathizes with the real Kira but lacks his sophistication, I think he might even be willing to obey the original. If so, we could lure him into a trap by sending our own message from the real Kira."

"I guess I shouldn't be surprised, you literally took the words right out of my mouth."

"Oh, and Light? I would like you to play the part of the real Kira."

26th April 2007:

Light was quite obviously experiencing something that would be categorized as the purest and most inebriating form of irritation. L had tricked the man into 'portraying' a part he actually was and it infuriated him that he didn't see something like that coming.

"Ryuzaki, we have a reply from the second Kira," Watari's voice sounded through the laptop placed on the coffee table which displayed the letter 'W' in Cloister Black, gaining everyone's attention, "I will be bringing over the envelope and tape we've received but in the meantime, I'm streaming a copy of the video so you can view it on your end."

The writing on the screen switched from W to Kira as her distorted voice was heard - Misa Amane, the second Kira.

"Kira, thank you for your reply. Please do not worry, I will follow orders and do as you say. I really want to meet you. I don't think you have the eyes-"

A gasp escaped Light's lips as an utterly shocked expression overcame his face. Catching himself before the sudden change in his behavior could be noticed by anyone, he looked around the room in an attempt to make sure no one saw his reaction.

However, to his utter horror, as he scanned the room, Light's eyes locked onto a pair of intense forest green ones that had been staring at him. Before he could stop himself, his eyes widened and lips parted, and an emotion that could only be classified as panic flashed across his face. 

She had been watching him, and she had seen him gasp in alarm as the second Kira had so casually referred to Shinigami eyes in a public message.

Light desperately wanted to look away, desperately wanted to break the eye contact that made him feel so exposed, so uncomfortable, that made him feel as though he had been caught red-handed, but his body seemed to have stopped responding to the voice inside his brain screaming at him to calm down and collect himself.

It absolutely didn't help when he watched the girl's lips twitch upwards into an amused smirk as her eyebrows raised slightly. She uncrossed her right arm to rest its elbow over the back of her left hand, covering the now full-blown grin on her face with her right palm, biting her bottom lip to stop it from widening any further.