Chapter 11: Knight to c3

"It's simple, you're showing improvement. It's natural to anticipate that you might show more improvement in the future," Ray told me as he moves his Bishop to another block. "Check," he announced.

I frowned while looking at the chessboard. I guess it was a hopeless game after all. I moved my rook to block his attack but I suddenly felt a pain in my head. "Ouch! Why did you hit me?" I said with teary eyes. 

"You should raise your awareness while playing chess," He nagged me. He pointed his finger to the pawn beside the King. I pouted when I got what he wanted to say. "You could've moved this piece to block my attack. You sacrificed your rook for nothing."

"It's because I'm not smart as Ray, okay?" I said while rubbing my head. I was about to place my rook back in its position but I received another hit from Ray. I glared my eyes at him. "You're enjoying this aren't you?" 

"Yes," He replied. "It's a touch-move, why are you changing your move?" He asked.

This little piece of---!!!

"Hmmph," I frowned, "Fine, then why do you think mama choose Norman?" I asked.

"Probably his age," He said. He moved his bishop to attack the pawn that I moved a while ago, I frowned when he announced "Checkmate," right in my face. "Let's play again," he suggested and I nodded my head.

"Age?" I asked.

"I noticed that if a child turned 12, whether your scores are high or not, you'll be shipped out no matter what. Norman is already 11, since mom saw your improvement, it's understandable that she'll choose someone who was already on the expiration date," He said while arranging the chessboard. 

My eyes locked in his face before saying this one fact. "Aren't you also 11?" I asked. "Your birthday is in January and Norman is in March, you are basically older than him," I said with a serious tone. "If we will compare your intellectual ability, both of you are equal. Wouldn't it be more logical to ship you out first?" I said with a blunt tone.

Pardon me little boy, but I will show you some suspicion.

Ray dropped the chess pieces in his hands. There was a shock on his face when I said that, but he remained silent and he didn't say anything. He rose from his seat and bend down his body to look for the fallen pieces.

"Ray is really mysterious," I said as I tapped the table. My tone almost sounded like I am interrogating him.  "Ray must be hiding something from me-- AHH!" I almost jumped away from my seat when the table move up, turns out that Ray bump his head on the table. "Are you okay Ray?" I asked.

The other chess pieces on the table scattered to the floor because of this. 

Careless brat!

I moved the chair a little and bend my body on the side to peek at Ray under the table. When I saw his frowning face while holding his head, a childish laugh escaped from my lips. "It's your karma for hitting me twice bleh!"

"Tsk, childish," He said.

"But I am a child!" I retorted.

"Yeah, right," Then he rolled his eyes.

My eyes went to the door when I heard the door creaked. I suddenly saw Norman entered the room with Emma beside him. 

When my eyes met Emma's eyes she immediately went in my direction. "Conny? What are you doing here?" Emma asked. Her eyes went under the table and saw Ray who was rubbing his head. "What are you doing under the table?"

I laughed childishly before explaining what happened to Ray. "Ray bumps his head hahaha," I said while pointing at him. Ray closed his eyes due to embarrassment before glaring at me.