29. Piece By Piece

Alexei just stared at me blankly.

I repeated myself, a little louder.

Alexei blinked.

I shifted on my feet, feeling the awkwardness settle in. "I-"

Alexei abruptly turned, throwing a fist into the closest tree in his vicinity.

I froze, stunned.

The trunk made a splintering noise as it quivered from the heavy impact.

I held in my gasp.

Alexei threw another punch, splitting the bark beneath his knuckles.

I startled from the sudden movement, moving quickly to his side. "Hey, you're hurting yourself. Stop it." I chided softly, smoothing my hands across his shoulders

Tension gripped his muscles as he aimed another shot into the tree, but I quickly covered his fist with my palm, stopping the movement. He instantly tensed, swivelling his head in my direction. His dark brown eyes flashed as he took a deep breath that made his chest puff up. "I should've been here." He stated.

"It's okay Alexei. It's done. I now know what happened to you. I tried to call you-"

"-I left my phone. It was supposed to be an overnight stay at the cabin. I didn't plan on staying there so I didn't take much up with me. I was going to come straight to you after settling the deal, but Bennett dragged the whole thing out."

"It's okay." And that was the truth. I was surprisingly fine.

Alexei shook his head. "Solnishko, you were alone."

"I know I was alone."

Alexei shook his head again, groaning. "That's not it. You were alone Penelope!"

"Yes, I was there." I stated, nodding.

"It would've been painful." Alexei explained. "It would've been painful for you. The pleasure would've shifted to pain since I hadn't been there to help."

I swallowed hard.

Oh.

"I should've been there!"

"We'll have another chance."

"This was our first time with the Needing. You would've needed me."

"Alexei-"

"I am committed to this Solnishko. The thought of you going through your Needing alone is unbearable. I don't want to think about it. That shouldn't have happened. I was supposed to be there with you. We were going to go through it together. Never alone. I've failed you."

Something was crumbling somewhere inside my chest as Alexei clutched his injured hand to his chest. Pink slashes adorned each bruised knuckle.

"What happened?"

"Jude sent me up to the mountains to get Bennett to sign documentation. It was supposed to be a single night trip. I planned to be back quickly, but the man protracted the process. I couldn't communicate with anyone since I left my phone behind and linking wasn't an option considering the distance was too great."

"I see. I also know it's not your fault you weren't with me. I stayed in your place when the Needing came. It gave me some comfort knowing I was in your space. It helped."

"I wanted to be there for you Solnishko." He whispered. "I promised myself I would look after you."

I grasped his cheeks, feeling the thick stubble prick the pads of my fingers. "You keep calling me Solnishko. What is it?"