19. The Reverend

A/N: I'm inspired by you.. Second upload of the day.

🎵 You know I want you
It's not a secret I try to hide
I know you want me
So don't keep sayin' our hands are tied 🎵

#######

"Princess!" The little girl shouted happily.

"Hannah!" Natalia hugged and lifted the little girl. "What are you doing here?" She asked the reverend.

"Reverend Joseph is the witness whom I was talking about." Judge Moss stated.

Natalia looked at the old man with a shock on her face. She never thought that he was involved.

"God's plan." The priest whispered to her. She just stared at the old man full of questions.

Devon, on the other hand, was speechless. He wasn't aware that the priest will show up at such a crucial time. He was supposed to be living quietly away from the city. He clenched his fist and think about a remedy.

"Reverend Joseph Ptegy is currently staying at the city as he will write his sworn statement today." The judge declared to them.

"Ms. Zimmer, could you do me a favor and look after Hannah for the meantime?" The reverend shyly asked.

"Of course. I'll look after her. Don't worry." Natalia said happily. "Hannah, do you want to eat something?"

"Egg pie!" The girl answered giggling.

"Alright then. Let's go." Natalia said grinning.

At a nearby cafeteria...

"Where are you staying little one?" Natalia asked curiously.

The girl scrunched her nose while eating the pie. "At a shabby inn. Reverend said we can't afford to rent a big one with two bedrooms so we settled at the cheaper ones. It has two bedrooms but was stinky." Hannah described whispering the last sentence.

Natalia laughed at her honesty.

"Do you want to stay at my place instead?" She asked the adorable girl.

"I have to ask Reverend first." Hannah stated. Natalia just nodded at her.

"How old are you now?"

"Turning four next month." The little girl smiled.

"Are you excited on you birthday?"

"Yes! Reverend said everyday is a blessing. And a birthday is a miracle."

Natalia was amazed on how the girl responds at her questions.

"Do you want something for your special day?"

"Hmmmm... I can't think of something. Maybe later." Natalia just nodded.

"Do you have a hard time living at the orphanage?"

"Uhm. Not really. My big sisters at the orphanage are taking care of me. But there's this little boy who 'frequently' bullies me."

"Oh. What did he do?" 'frequently?' Natalia thought the child is smart using such big words.

"Sometimes he would pinch my face, pulled down my scrunchies off my hair, then he would tease me that I look like a rabbit when I'm eating and he would take a bite of my snack. How awful." Hannah told her while frowning and crossing her arms on her chest.

Natalia was chuckling when Hannah finished her complaints. After few more topics, they went back to the State court.

"Reverend Joseph." Natalia greeted the man. He seemed worried but brushed off the expression.