57

Alice Avery

I felt like I had died, I was relieved but powerless. I wondered what I would do now, what Ricky would do, Angie, Colton, Reed, Trent. Just about everyone I wondered about because life would change and it would change drastically. Vince was a cancer invading everyone's lives, shows up and puts you through hell, goes away and gives you some hope, then comes back and repeats the cycle until you can't take it anymore.

"Think out loud." Ricky's voice filled my ears, comforting me from my morbid thoughts. "Think out loud. Tell me what you're thinking. It'll make you feel better."

I stared into oblivion. "I think that...." I studied the detail on the carpet below me. "I think that I'm happy."

"You think?"

"Yes. I think. Meaning that I'm not sure yet."

He enjoyed silence with me and I traced the seam on my jeans until he spoke. "I'm sorry," he said. "I'm sorry I never told you about your mother."

"It's okay," I replied. "I get it. I know you were just looking out for me. Besides, I wouldn't have wanted to know back then."

"I figured."

"Did you know I had a sister? Did you know about Charlotte?"

"No." He answered. "I didn't know until today, I doubt anyone else knows."

"I can't believe he did that." I say, and I mean it. "He doesn't shock me often but this... it's one of the most disturbing things I've ever heard. She was a young girl and her father killed her. Do you hear how sick that sounds?"

"I do and I'm sorry you never got to meet her."

"Yeah, me too."

"Is there anything I can do?" He asks. Almost desperate for me to give him a suggestion.

I looked over and gave him a smile, shaking my head softly. "You've done so much already, more than I can ever thank you for."

"You don't need to thank me. I did this for you, for us. We're going to have a life together, Ali, one we've hoped for. Nothing is getting in the way of that."

"Pinch me," I told him. "I'm sure I'm dreaming."

The corner of his lips lifted into a faint smile. He leaned over and kissed my lips with his own. "You aren't dreaming, your nightmare is just over."

"Thank you," I mouthed to him. "I'm glad I have you."

"You have me. Always."

HIs hands rested against my cheeks as he stared into me. "Just promise me you won't hurt me," I pleaded. "If you do it again I won't recover from it, I'm sure of that."

"I'm not going to hurt you," he says. "I'm going to love you."

I lifted from the sofa and wrapped my arms around himtightly, closing my eyes as he held me. "I'm going to love you too," I promised in a whisper. He pulled from me and kissed my cheek. "This really does feel like a dream." I say again.

"Why's that?" He questions with a forming grin toying around on his face.

"Love," I said slowly. "From someone I adore and admire. It's surreal to me, receiving love but also returning it. I didn't know I was capable of it until I met you."

Trent Lowe

His eyes closed, his breathing faint and almost impossible to hear. He'd be gone soon, a few hours probably. I pulled my chair up to the side of the hospital bed and shook him awake. "Vince? Vince stay awake, alright?"

"I'm tired." He mumbled and shut his eyes again.

"Not yet," I told him. "You can't go yet."

"Trent-"

The door interrupted him when a nurse came and walked in, giving me a look I hated to witness. "Mr. Lowe, may I speak with you outside?"

"Sure," I said quietly. I gave Vince one last look before I stepped out of the room with the nurse, shutting the door behind us.

"Don't sugarcoat anything." I demand and I can tell by her eyes that she pities me.

"I'm not supposed to share any information with you given that you aren't a family member but he doesn't have long. I would suggest calling his daughter at this point. There's nothing else we can do, I'm very sorry."

I looked away from her as I contemplated calling Alice. "I'm all he's got," I decided to tell the nurse. "I'm the closest to family he's got."

She nodded at me. "Just make him comfortable. I'm afraid today will- will be his last."

"Right, thank you." I said quickly and stepped back into Vince's room and closed the door once again. I waited until I heard footsteps walking away. "Ricky's back in Las Vegas. I'll fly back today and I'll get him for you. I'll bring him back here-

"Trent-"

"What?"

"Sit down." He gritted through his clenched teeth and I sat back down in my chair. "I need you to listen to me, carefully." He whispered.

"Vince I already know, I know what to do. Ricky will be taken care of believe me-"

"Don't be an idiot, Trent." He cut me off harshly, even on his death bed he was a piece of work.

"You're the idiot. What do you want to do, huh? You want to keep Ricky alive? Are you kidding me?" I questioned him in disbelief and he just laid there, watching me go mad. "We need to fucking kill him."

"Not him." Vince suddenly replied. "N-not Ricky, not him, Alice. I need you to kill Alice."

A/N
I feel like I haven't updated in a year, sorry homies life has been hectic.