chapter 34

"Lockhart may be useless-"

"And thick" I quickly point out.

"But he's going to try and get into the Chamber. At least we can tell him what we know" Harry continues as we all run to his classroom and office, opening the door "Professor, we have some information for you" Harry says but we see he's packing a suitcase "Are you going somewhere?"

"Uh... Well, yes. Um, urgent call. Unavoidable. Uh, got to go"

"What about my sister?!" Ron asks in a panic.

"Well, um... As to that, most unfortunate. No one regrets more than I" Lockhart says and chuckles lightly.

"You're the Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher. You can't go now" Ron points out.

"Well, I must say, when I took the job, there was nothing in the job description about-" Lockhart tries leaving the room.

"You're running away?" Harry asks as he blocks Lockhart's way "After all that stuff you did in your books?"

"Books can be misleading" Lockhart says.

"You wrote them!" Harry yells.

"My dear boy, do you use your common sense?! My books wouldn't have sold half as well if people didn't think I'd done those things"

"You're a fraud. You've just been taking credit for what other wizards have done" Harry says.

"Is there anything you can do?" Ron asks.

"Besides being a pratt!" I almost yell at Lockhart.

"Yes, now you mention it. I'm rather gifted with memory charms. Otherwise, you see, all those wizards would have done blabbing. And I'd have never sold another book. In fact, uh... I'm going to have to do the same to you" Lockhart says and grabs his wand, but as he turns, he sees 3 wands pointed at his face.

"Don't even think about it" Harry says. We all lightly flick our wands downwards to gesture for him to drop his wand, and he does so.

Me Harry and Ron force him into the girls bathroom, Moaning Myrtle flying and moaning. She turns to us suddenly, though.

"Oh, who's there?" Myrtle asks, but sees us "Oh, hello Harry" Myrtle says and looks down, probably blushing, then looks up again "What do you want?"

"To ask you how you died" Harry answers.

"Oh" she elongates "It was dreadful. It happened right here in this very cubicle" Myrtle points to the cubicle just under her, but keeps her gaze to us, or rather Harry "I was hidden because Olive Hornby was teasing me about my glasses. I was crying, and then... I heard somebody come in"

"Who was it Myrtle?" Harry asks.

"I don't know. I was distraught!" she yells, then starts floating to us "But they said something funny, a kind of made-up language, and I realised it was a a boy speaking, so I unlocked the door to tell him to go away and... I died"

"Just like that? How?" Harry asks as Myrtle reaches us.

"I just remember seeing a pair of great, big, yellow eyes over there, by that sink" Myrtle says and points her head to a specific sink.

Harry goes to it and touches the top, then runs his fingers down the side of it. He tries turning it on, but it squeaks, and nothing comes out. He then looks at the side of the tap and touches it.

"This is it" Harry half whispers.

"This is it, guys. I think this is the entrance to the Chamber of Secrets" Harry says and steps back.