Chapter 48 - Stronger

Daemon POV

We had only been going to the training sessions for about a week now, and I could already feel myself and my wolf getting stronger. My wolf was a lot happier now too, not always cooped up and hiding in my head when he wasn't out. He was more vocal with Matias too, piping in through our bond which was still kind of weird, but we were getting used to it.

The training wasn't easy, and the workouts changed and varied, some people even doing completely different things than the others because it worked better for them. I was slowly getting faster, stronger, and more aware of things. I was never going to be as strong as Matias or Andy, or some of the other pack warriors, but that didn't bother me. I was quite a bit smaller than all of them anyway, and as long as I could hold my own and protect the few I loved, I would be alright. I still didn't enjoy having to be up so early in the morning, and after particularly hard workouts I was sore for a day or two, but it was all such a nice feeling. To know I wasn't useless anymore, and that maybe now I could defend myself if I needed to. That I wouldn't be a nuisance and could help protect my pack and actually stand a chance at not getting killed right away.

My wolf was loving the training too. The daily runs and mock fights, playing and honing his skill switch Matias's wolf at his side. He loved being out more now because before this he hadn't even been out and in his own form. I was content with letting him control the wolf body, not having to do it on my own. I wasn't so scared of shifting anymore, of being the outcast, because the rest of the pack didn't care. Most thought it was actually kind of cool, the black pelt and two different colored eyes. There had been a few times where I had been out playing with some of the pack's children and had ended up shifting and they had all loved it. Clinging to my back, climbing on me, little hands swiping and grabbing at my legs, face, and fur. It was fun. Jamie had enjoyed my wolf too, squealing with delight when he had first seen him, and immediately flinging himself on me.

It was adorable, to say the least.

Matias enjoyed my wolf being out more too. My wolf and my mate's wolf were getting to know each other much better now and we're both much happier being able to be out together, running and playing and scenting each other. It was nice for both Matias and me too, it felt like we had become even closer to each other now, closer than we already were.

___

With my wolf in control, Matias and I raced through the forest on our own. It was a nice afternoon, only around four or so, and we still had plenty of time before we had to be back for dinner. It was nice to get out on our own, and this was one of the first times we had done it.

Feeling the wind through my fur would never get old, and as guilty as I felt that I never did this with my 'old' wolf, it was still a nice feeling. It felt normal now, and I felt more free and relaxed than I had whenever I was forced to shift years ago.

I stayed at a pace Matias could match, not going too fast for him, despite the fact he had gotten faster. (I was still faster though.) My wolf had also gotten stronger and even faster than before, and it honestly was a little strange for me. While I, in my human form, had also gotten stronger, my wolf was still leagues stronger than me. And usually, your strength as a wolf represented your strength as a human, and vice versa. My wolf didn't have an explanation for it either, other than it probably had something to do with experiments.

Eventually, Matias started to push the steady pace we had set, trying to outrun me. My wolf huffed, before easily matching my mate's speed, and when Matias tried to pick it up again, my wolf easily matched him again.

You do realize I'm still faster than you, right? My wolf taunted through the bond, and Matias's wolf just sent back his annoyance. Matias pushed himself harder, faster, and yet I still kept up. Eventually, after about three more minutes of Matias running as fast as he could, and me not giving him the satisfaction of ever pulling ahead, he started to slow down. We jogged for a few more yards before stopping altogether, and Matias flopped dramatically onto the forest floor. I snorted as I sat down beside his panting wolf form, watching around the forest.

We sat in silence for a few minutes, Matias's wolf silently panting in mild exhaustion, and me watching the forest around us only slightly tired. Eventually, Matias shifted back, still laying butt-ass naked on the forest floor. I huffed, rolling my eyes in a wolfish manner, before proceeding to ignore him. I heard the rustle when he got up but didn't see him until I felt warm, human arms wrap around my neck. I let him hold me, his warm breathe on my fur as I watched birds hop from tree to tree.

"You're really pretty, did you know that?" He whispered, his words barely breaking the silence of the day around us. I didn't respond, verbally because I couldn't, and mentally because I didn't feel the need to. He could feel the way the words made me feel through the bond anyways.

Gently, Matias kissed my wolf's fury neck, and I let out a pleased rumble, turning my head to look at him. Messy hair that had grown slightly longer over time, shining brown eyes that looked like honey in the sun, and a soft smile that showed all his love on his face. If I were currently human, I would have kissed him.

I could still kiss him in this form.

So I did. I placed a big, fat, slimy wolf kiss right on his face. He groaned, pushing my face away from his with a disgusted noise as I barked loudly, standing up and bowing down into a playful arch. He just shook his head, still wiping my slobber off his face.

"That's disgusting, you animal," He stated, running his hand over his face one last time before he met my eyes again. I could tell he fought the smile that eventually graced his face, and his hand reached out to ruffle the fur on my head. I shook my head as he did so, nipping at his fingers a little bit.

"You're a big goof," He laughed, pulling his hand away. I jumped forward slightly, my tail wagging happily, trying to get him to play with me. Well, my wolf was. My wolf seemed to have an unlimited stock of energy. Matias gave in though, shifting back into his wolf form and entertaining my wolf.

We had only been playfully wrestling for a few minutes when a howl broke through the woods, and we both froze. I could tell when someone mind-linked Matias and his wolf grew angry when their voice was done, and he filled me in.

Rogue on the western border, he mind-linked me, his wolf looking into my wolf's eyes. They're pretty sure it's your mother.