Chapter 93: The warlock and the hunter

Not proofread

Seungmin was squeezing his wrist rather tight, but Hyunjin couldn't say he minded it. It was reassuring to know that the redhead would keep him close at all costs. The three of the wavered through the thick, black smoke with Hyunjin in the lead. Seungmin and Changbin kept their surroundings in check while Hyunjin tried his best to find them a way out of here.

The smoke was burning in his throat and eyes, but if it was some sort of poison they would be coughing their lungs out right now. The hunters they had encountered would be dead too, since they wore no protection against the smoke either.

Hyunjin couldn't believe their luck with the hunters. Seungmin always seemed to know where they were before they really popped up in the smoke. Another thing the siren found somehow reassuring.

The siren quickly advanced in the smoke, dragging Seungmin and Changbin with him. He had heard the faint voice of his cousin at some point and a clicking noise, meaning the other's couldn't be that far.

"Taeyong's group and the rest are out of the hunters' headquarter, but something is wrong with the mind link. I can't hear anyone anymore," Changbin whispered so low, Hyunjin almost couldn't hear him. A spark of relief ignited in Hyunjin's chest. If Taeyong's group made it out, his mother was probably among them.

And as if their luck wanted to show itself, a shadow flew over their heads, letting their gazes snap upwards. Even with smoke mostly obscuring his vision, Hyunjin could see the outline of his mother quickly passing high above their heads crystal clear.

"Mum," Hyunjin gasped louder than he had wanted and quickly followed the shadow. A distance cheer from Jeongin could also be heard. The siren tugged Seungmin and Changbin along. They quickly matched his fastened steps, but what made Hyunjin start sprinting was the scream that followed not long after the cheer.

Jeongin's scream was blood curling and send the siren running towards his cousin. Fear was clawing at Hyunjin's chest and it only got worse when the young kitsune screamed "Auntie".

The smoke got less and less and suddenly they emerged from the thick darkness into a small clearing. Hyunjin's eyes scanned the clearing quickly, his eyes landing on Jisung, who stood in front of the others, hands glowing in a deep blue light. Jeongin was sat beside Ms. Hwang with Minho and Felix hovering nearby.

Hyunjin pushed himself forward, barely noticing that Seungmin let go of his wrist. "Mum!," the siren yelled and brushed past Jisung to get to his mother. He kneeled down at her side, his knees digging into the cold, hard dirt uncomfortable, but he didn't care. He looked at his mother, not knowing what he could do. He scanned her body, finding an arrow with a crystal dangling on its tip buried in her shoulder. His gaze wandered to Jeongin, who looked just as distressed as Hyunjin felt. Was there anything they could do?

Ms. Hwang opened her mouth to say something but before she could get one word out Seungmin knelt down beside Hyunjin. "Prop her up. I will get the arrow out," the redhead said, pushing his sleeves up.

"You will hurt yourself," Ms. Hwang mumbled, her voice faint. Blood was dripping from the corners of her mouth and slowly the red liquid began to pool itself in her eyes too. Seungmin didn't look at her, his gaze focused on the arrowhead in her shoulder.

"Don't care," the redhead said lowly. It seemed like he said it more to himself than to her. Hyunjin and Jeongin obeyed Seungmin's words and got their caretaker into a sitting position by supporting her on both sides. She coughed at blood, which send surges of panic through Hyunjin. His nerves tingled, but he remained calm.

Seungmin position himself behind Ms. Hwang and grabbed the arrow in her shoulder. A sizzling sound emitted from his hands, but the redhead didn't even flinch. His hand remained steady on the length of the arrow. He took a breath and pulled. Ms. Hwang tensed for a moment before a relieved sigh left her bloodied lips.