Chapter XI: Meeting

Opal white capes, as soft as silk. Golden feathers, tied to strong backs, gleaming under the rays of sunshine filtering through the clouds. Swords and Daggers, bows and quivers, linked to their masters, more faithful than any living creature. Eyes as wide as the sky, glittering with a thousand colors of the rainbow, occasionally going back to their usual white, empty of all emotion but one:

Complete trust in their Queen.

The Archangels all gathered in the Meeting Chamber that happened to be right across from Lailah's door. Despite the width of the Royal Castle, everything seemed to be so close.

Everyone was so close. They were her top ranking soldiers, but before responsibilities came barging in their lives, destroying their precious innocence, their carefreeness, they were her childhood friends. They played with her everyday in the Castle, they teased her while calling her a spoiled princess, even though they knew she was anything but that. And now that the princess became queen, and the friends became her soldiers, they swore to protect her with their lives.

Not that angels can die, but for an oath like that to be made, the angel's essence would go straight to Lailah if anything were to happen to her, anything...malevolent.

She sat on her favourite chair, blue like the ocean, blue like the tears she shed for Noah on the day he went missing.

Noah. His name tore her heart into shreds, and she remembered she has to tell them everything that has happened so far with him.

Because she needed their help.

"Hey guys" , the Queen waved casually at the angels.

"My Queen" , Michael, the only one who remained standing on her right, whispered. "This isn't how you should start the meeting"

"Who cares about formalities? We have an urgent matter to discuss!"

The Archangels all nodded in agreement, they couldn't help but smile at Lailah's playfulness, one of her most charming points, and one of the reasons they loved her as a Queen.

"Anyway" , she cleared her throat. "I gathered you today to inform you, mostly, of the recent events that happened a few days ago, and that might have been the demons' doing."

Gasps here and there emerged from the angels' mouths.

"I'm not sure if one of you felt it" , she turned to Samael, who was practically like her own mother. Always taking care of her whenever she fell, or got injured, or got in trouble for flying to Earth without her mother's consent, back when she was a carefree princess. "Have you, Sam?"

Sam shook her head, her shiny scarlet locks twisting with the movement like she was in a shampoo commercial.

"Felt what?" , she asked.

"Well, to cut down to the chase, Noah is back"

More Gasps. Hands on faces and palms on mouths.

One of the Archangels stood up.

"What do you mean he's back? Did he escape the demons? Did they release him? Why now of all times?"

Israel. He was like her older brother. Broad shoulders and a long black hair that ran loose down his back, like a mermaid. Lailah loved tying it into a ponytail because it made him look like a horse, with those high cheekbones and nearly-closed eyes, his irises barely showing.

"This is what I want you guys to find out" , she said. "I still don't know the whole story, or why none of them went after him yet. But I expect they will, soon, and that is why he is in grave danger."