Chapter 2: Breakfast with Family

"Normal speech"
'Thought'

******

Cale was following after Ron as they walked toward the dining room. He could see that every servant bowed their head and flinched whenever he passed by them.

Cale sighed softly at this nostalgic sight. 'As Kim Roksoo, I got bullied for no reason when I was young. As team leader, they looked down on my abilities that wasn't any uses in combats. As Cale Henituse, people are avoiding me instead even though I never actually injured anyone. Should I laugh at being left alone like I wanted or cry at the fact that I am left to fend all of this alone?'

Despite thinking such depressing thoughts, Cale controlled his expression well, keeping it stoic.

"I will now open the door."
"Sure"

"I hope you have a pleasant breakfast, Young master."
"Mn. You should go get your meal too, Ron."

Cale walked into the dining room without looking back at Ron, who has a very uncharacteristic surprise face for a split moment.

Ron bowed his head before walking toward the kitchen #2 where his son was working in.

Cale who saw his family again after so long, clenched his fists tightly. 'I will definitely protect you all this time.'

"Good morning, father."
"You come today. Have a seat, Cale."

Cale nodded and sat down at his usual seat which was the furthest from his whole family. He had started to eat without anymore words, but somewhat he felt that everyone was looking at him.

"Is there anything you need to say, father?" Cale paused his eating and asked.

Count Deruth Henituse, Cale's father, quickly denied. "Ah, no, there isn't. Continue eating, son."

"Oh." Cale obeyed the order and started to eat again. 'I'm so glad I got to eat Beacrox's food again. I remember his cooking clearly. This one is definitely his cooking.'

Cale had subconsciously smiled while he enjoyed his meal. Until...

Clang– Cale raised his head from the juicy sausage he was eating and turned his head toward the sound.

It was Basen, his stepbrother, who dropped his fork. "My apologies"

"It is not a big deal." Cale answered casually.

Cale was thinking about how to actually communicate with his family.
However he found that he was quite awkward with that, thanks to the fact that he made a habit of avoiding people he cared about.

'Though the unreliable God of Death did say the 'curse' has been lessen, I still don't want to cause any accidents.'

"Cale." Deruth tried hard to find something to talk with his eldest son. His son seemed to be a bit more approachable than usual today. He was happy to see that.

"It seems you enjoy your meal today."
"Yes, it is very delicious, father. Everything tastes wonderful today."

"I see. Eat more then. Tell the servant to bring more if it's not enough."
"Okay. You should enjoy your meal as well, father."

"Ho..." Basen had unintentionally let out a sound.

This was the first time since his mother married to Henituse family that he saw his Hyung ever showing any kind of feelings towards the family, or anyone else in general.

'He always keeps his distance with everyone. Even Ron, his personal servant, could only stay a bit closer than the rest.'

Cale turned to Basen when he heard another sound from him.