14

(I'm drunk what's new? Why do I feel like my writing is shit? Is this chapter good? Read it and lmk

(I'm drunk what's new? Why do I feel like my writing is shit? Is this chapter good? Read it and lmk. I'll probably end up rewriting it in the far far future)

Her fingers filled out the gloves and she was almost finished but her neck was naked. Mrs Hayes peaked her head around the door and brought her hands up to cover her mouth.

"You look gorgeous, darling," she gasped.

The tint of pink on Aurora's cheeks blossomed. "Thank you."

"Turn around. I'll put your necklace on for you," she walked to the vanity mirror and picked up the pearl necklace from the jewellery box.

Aurora felt the cool pearls cover her neck to finish the look.

"I've always wanted a daughter," Mrs Hayes admired Aurora in the full-length mirror.

Aurora whispered, "I've always wanted a mother."

"You have one back home," Mrs Hayes rubbed her shoulder but Aurora shook her head.

"I've never had a mother and I've never had a home. Not a true one," Aurora sat down on her bed and fiddled with her hands in her lap. "I assume you know how I ended up in Australia at this specific school?"

Mrs Hayes nodded.

"I don't regret it. I felt good. Wanted. My parents didn't care about me. It was as if I never existed to them. I was simply a pawn in their game of life, only to be used when they saw fit which was extremely rare. They shouted at me for an hour and told me what an embarrassment I was to them and they shipped me off to the furthest place in the world." Aurora scrunched her eyes but remembered her makeup.

"My friend Courtney helped me get here. I wanted to leave that wretched place. The people were awful. Deep down I hoped that my parents would scold me, ground me, anything. I just wanted their attention. But I wasn't stupid, people don't change overnight so I made sure Courtney included a pamphlet for your husband's school so I'd have somewhere to go."

Mrs Hayes sat down next to Aurora and hugged her tight. "If it means anything, I'm glad you ended up here. I've loved spending time with you this week."

"I have too," Aurora hugged her back.

"My husband tells me you're quite the creator. Did you show your parents?"

"They never knew. They never wanted to know."

"I've seen pictures of your work. You're very good, Aurora. Better than good. I hope you know it," Mrs Hayes comforted her but she remained quiet.

"We should stand up. I don't want to crease my dress," Aurora spoke before the tears could fall.

"Yes, you're right. Let's go down so we can leave soon," Mrs Hayes agreed and Aurora thought she could hear shuffling outside the door.