19 || Repent

Song: ZAYN - BoRdErZ (slowed + reverb)

𝔚𝔚𝔚
Josie

"You're very weak."

I narrow my eyes and huff as I adjust the hold on the four textbooks in my hand. "Easy for you to say when you're not carrying a load of brinks." I mumble as I continue my trudge down the busy street with Rico in tow.

Rico rolls his eyes and the next thing I know, the textbooks are snatched out of my hands and my backpack is slid off my shoulders and onto his.

I beam up at him, "Thank you. That's one of the nicest things someone's done in a while." I admit.

I should be feeling bad that I'm making him carry my books, but I'd been lugging them all the way from the book store and we were almost at the building.

"Has your life always been this sad?" He observes sounding emotionless but even I can tell he's somewhat curious.

I liked that about Rico. He took time to listen to what I had to say and even went as far as to ask questions about my life. It was like he actually wanted to get to know me.

I didn't come by that often.

"No." I say, my voice somewhat dejected before I brush off the dark thoughts. "But you know what is sad?" He doesn't respond and I grin up at him as we walk into the lobby of the building and head towards the elevator. "Your Physics grade."

The scowl he sends me has me giggling under my breath before I pat my dear friend on the shoulder. "It's nothing to be ashamed of, just means I have more work to do."

"Yeah, yeah. Let's just get this shit over with." He says, ushering me into the elevator.

I suppress the urge to jump in excitement at the fact that I was going to be hanging out with a friend. Sure it was technically a tutoring session, but the semantics didn't matter to me.

"Would you like something to drink?" I ask as we walk into the penthouse.

He glances around, most likely in awe as I lead us towards the kitchen table. "No."

"Something to eat?"

"No."

I open my mouth, another question on the tip of my tongue but he sends me a pointed look. "Josie, I'm good."

"Right." I chuckle nervously as I scratch the back of my neck and follow him towards the circular table off to the side of the large kitchen.

"You sure your... roommate won't mind?" Rico asks as he sets down my things.

I send him a reassuring smile. "Oh, don't worry, he's never around-"

"Who's never around?"

The deep booming voice has me jumping in surprise and I clutch onto my chest, swallowing the shriek that's bubbled in my throat.

It isn't until I spin around and catch sight of two figures walking into the kitchen that I connect with the eyes of the man I'd been avoiding for the past three days.