43. Together

43. Together

"Sorry," Nao coughed harshly into his pillow, lifting his head weakly to choke out his next words into his phone. "Can't make it. I'm dying."

And then he hung up.

He will interest himself in the thoughts of the school going ballistic while he tries to fall asleep again.

(Later, Isogai came by with a care package and warm tea, so that was nice.)

Apparently, Nagisa was in trouble with his mother and the understandably common E-class dilemma of being pressured into returning to campus, so there was a parent-teacher conference arranged. Nao had to go, he should be going, since he's literally the one in charge and approving-- but hey, he can't go when he's coughing up a lung, can he?

Well, even Nagisa's mother will have to accept if they say Nao's absent. Everyone knows about Nao's condition in this town, and she's met him before.

("Huh?" Nao takes a slow sip of his tea. "You're going to make him disguise as Karasuma-san instead? Wow, you guys sure love chaos.")

("You don't have any right to say that to us, Kuma-sensei!" Isogai says, brightly.)

The problem with Nagisa is fixed as soon as the day comes. Korosensei had it handled, and Nagisa seemed to walk straighter the next day, greeting with a smile, like his shoulders were no longer heavy from the weight of the world upon his shoulders.

("Get well soon, Kuma-sensei," Isogai stands up, getting ready to leave. "I'm sure everyone wants to share their career choices with you too, not just with Korosensei.")

(Nao chuckles. "I try my best.")

-

Nao enjoyed his wagon-ride up the mountain, tasting a macaron that Hara, also sitting in the wagon for some reason, was too eager to share with him.

"This is really good," Nao savoured every bite, because holy heck these were hard to bake and resident class Mom nailed them.

"Really? I might start selling them in my aunt's bakery."

"Do it, do it. They'll be an amazing sale."

Kimura and Yoshida were suffering, since they had to lug an adult man and a girl on the heavier side up the mountain at once, but neither of them complained. Kimura was pushing from behind and Yoshida had the front, struggling to pull.

Okajima and Fuwa were beside them, cheering them on.

"Stand up! STAND UP, JOOOOOEEE!!" At some point, Fuwa started shouting like a frantic boxing coach, because Yoshida crumbled and wanted to give up.