Chapter twenty-seven

Layla

I run through 'Fashion Alley' which is one of Lakeintown's top hotspots for shopping and socialising. As the name states, it's a long alley that holds several clothes shops with the odd ATM and newsagents slotted in between. It's one of Lakeintown's top hotspots for shopping and socialising.

While an alley with shops sounds basic, the mini gardens that line the middle of the concrete path make it come alive. The gardens themselves are held in a deep square concrete surround but it's what's within them that sparks the awe when walking down here. The flowers are bright and spread in an array of colours. Each garden has a tree that is always maintained. Benches rest alongside them and tall street lamps light the path.

The best time to come here is Christmas. While carols are sang by Lakeintown's church choir it's how Lakeintown is decorated that really adds to the Christmas spirit. Tinsel is incorporated within the flowerbeds and every tree is wrapped in sparkling lights. It's truly a spectacular sight especially when it snows.

I stop opposite 'Ultimate Me' a clothing shop. It's closed and dark inside apart from the flashing red glow of a security alarm that warns any would-be thieves off interest.

There are four mannequins advertised and stood within the window. Three are wearing dresses with roses, tulips and other flowers of varying sizes stamped and traced all over them. Pairs of high heels are placed on the bottom counter. The other mannequin at the back is wearing black leggings and a casual purple top with a large white flower printed in the middle. Those are the clothes I would wear. The price tags justify why as the dresses are in three figures whereas the one I like is in double, around the fifteen mark which is what I am used to paying or stealing...

The next shop 'Tale n Task' is a shop stocked with handbags, shoes and other accessories. This shop has a red alarm on the back wall to the right but it isn't flashing like the one before. It is a steady ongoing glow. As I gaze at the shoes laid out in front of me, something urges me to look back at the alarm. To my shock, the red light has gone. It's gone?

I glance behind me to scout a possible cause but there's nothing however when I return my gaze to the wall, the red alarm is back but now in the middle.

It moved.

I back away from the shop, reaching the concrete surround of a mini garden. The red light has split into two. Two?

I look behind once more to be met with nothing out of the ordinary until a grumbling snarl makes my entire body erupt into tingles as realisation sinks in. It's two red orbs of light. It's the monster. Adrenaline pumps through me as movement blurs in the reflection of the shop window. The monster is behind the garden. I am not going to wait for it to show so I run, only to be hit by something which makes me fall to the ground.

     "Why the hell are you here?" Maylock's voice curls. Maylock?

I pick myself up, noting that he doesn't offer to help.

     "I was on my way to the Spire but..."

     "...to hell you were" he interrupts before I could explain what I saw. "Were you shopping?"

     "Of course, not" I deny fiercely.

     "Well, you need to be at the Spire" he narrows his eyes at me. "I am only here because there were Mavlins following you. I had to take them out because you weren't going to" he spites. Why is he talking to me like this?

     "I didn't even know they were following me?"

     "Shows how much you really know" he rolls his eyes.

     "But the monster was here"

     "No it wasn't. Now go to the Spire" he dismisses quickly and then jumps up swiftly again leaving me in a state of confusion, frustration and hurt. Why on Earth is Maylock acting like this towards me. I admit I did stop my journey to the Spire to look into some windows but I wasn't going to stay here.

The city is silent. No more snarls or vicious curls rise which is fortunate, but something was here to make those noises and just because it's quiet doesn't mean it's gone. With that in mind, I start to move and continue heading for the Spire.