XXX.

Chapter Thirty.

Thanksgiving Day.

"Xavi, go check on the turkey!" Rose hollered to her granddaughter as she was in the dining room, getting the large oak table prepared for the feast that was going to be happening in less than an hour. Rose put down place mats, sat a cornucopia in the middle of the table as a centerpiece, and made sure their was enough chairs to seat everyone that would be in attendance.

The dining room was only used for gatherings on special occasions such as the holidays or family reunions. Any other time, Rose nor Xavi would step foot inside. The double doors that led into the dining room were usually locked. It had always been that way for years.

"It's done Nana!" Xavi yelled back.

"Okay, turn the oven off but keep the pan inside so that the turkey can stay warm."

Xavi did as she was told and turned the oven off. She couldn't believe how much food her grandmother had prepared. Of course there was turkey, honey glazed ham, macaroni and cheese, yams, green beans, dirty rice, cornbread dressing, and stuffing. To top it all off, they would be having sweet potato pie and pumpkin pie for dessert. A few other family members would be bringing sweets and different side dishes as well. Mostly everyone in the family could cook, they got their skills directly from Rose.

Besides the food, Xavia loved this time of year because it was when families could connect and come together. She knew that her grandmother's home would be filled with love and the people that she loved.

"Have you talked to your cousin?" Rose asked, adjusting her glasses on her face. Xavi then rolled her eyes in annoyance.

"Nope." She simply said. The two hadn't spoken a word to each other since the whole incident at Walmart, and Xavi wasn't too enthusiastic about seeing her today.

"Listen, I know you're probably still upset with her and I completely understand, but I don't want any trouble out of either of y'all when she gets here, okay?"

"Yes ma'am." Xavia nodded. She wasn't worried about Arnecia the slightest bit, though. Her 'ability to walk past someone like they never even existed' game was too strong. As long as Niecey didn't say anything out of line, things would be cool.

"I'm about to go straighten up my room."

"Alright, sweet pea." Rose responded. Xavi headed to her room, and shut her door behind her.

She then connected her phone to her pink speaker, and hit shuffle on her early 2000's R&B playlist. Lady by D'Angelo began playing, and Xavi snapped her fingers to the beat. She then grabbed a trash bag from her closet and began throwing away empty water bottles and random trash laying around. Xavia already knew that when family was coming over, all of her younger cousins would pile up in her room. It was the hangout spot to get away from the adults.

Once her room was all tidy and in place, Xavia sprayed some room spray that smelled like mahogany teakwood and opened her curtains to let some light in.