15.

Sixth Year - 1977

Sixth Year - 1977

THE FIRST WEDNESDAY REGULUS FAILED TO SHOW UP IN THE LIBRARY, CORDELIA CRIED. She quietly left the library with the intention of skipping dinner. Her eyes burned, but she was determined to hold in the tears until she was hidden behind the curtains of her bed.

The sight of Sirius waiting for her in the Gryffindor common room was the last straw.

One look at him, and her lip wobbled pitifully. Sirius swept her up into his arms, softly murmuring questions into her hair. Tears soaked the shoulder of his robes, but neither of them paid any mind to it.

"He didn't..." she choked, her chest heaving rapidly. "He didn't show up."

She missed the way Sirius clenched his jaw tightly, closing his eyes in frustration. While he wasn't happy about their strange friendship initially, he learned quickly that Cordelia thought of Regulus as a little brother. She cared so much about his little brother.

Cordelia was tight lipped about what Regulus had said to her previously, after pulling her away from dinner abruptly. Just a little disagreement, she'd said.

"I'm sorry, love," Sirius sighed. He knew Regulus detested him now, but he didn't think he'd take it out on Cordelia.

She was beside herself with grief and unspoken worry. What if he does something stupid? Merlin knows he and Sirius share their rashness.

They moved toward the fire, and Sirius held her tightly until their friends returned from dinner. At the sight of Cordelia's tear stained cheeks, they all left for their dorms without a word.

Sirius had it under control, and they weren't going to interfere. He was trying to be better for Cordelia, and their friends wanted him to be.

The pair stayed in the common room all night, mourning a boy who was very much alive.

-

Despite knowing in the back of her mind that it was a lost cause, Cordelia returned to library every Wednesday. Sirius wanted her to give up, though he'd never tell her that, but she refused. He watched her go each time with sad eyes.

She knew her friends were worried about her. She'd just gotten the one thing she'd been after for years. She should be happy.

It never quite works out that way for Cordelia.

This particular Wednesday, Remus is waiting for her when she emerges from the library alone. He gives her a gentle smile and accompanies her as they walk to the Great Hall. They've almost made it when they happen upon several of their Slytherin classmates.

Waiting, by the looks of it.

"We're about to get our asses kicked, aren't we?" Remus mutters quietly, leaning closer to Cordelia for her to hear.